[Suggestion] Change trailer link in moving pictures (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

Currently the trailer link points to online videos plugin and asks it to a search using the imdb trailers site. You may not be aware of this, but the imdb trailers site hardly has any trailers and is missing trailers for around half of the movies I've tried to view trailers for.

I've found that the trakt website is a really good source of links to trailers on youtube. The trakt plugin now has option to play a trailer directly using online videos and will default back to a trailer search if the trailer isn't linked on trakt website.

New release available (v1.8.0)
    • Added ability to stream trailers directly using OnlineVideos rather than trailer search. This is available when trakt has the trailer url otherwise it will initiate a search.

I would like to suggest that the skins trailer link is changed so that it points to the trakt plugin and asks trakt to play trailer isntead.

I've added request to the issue traker here:
    https://github.com/ncoH/Avalon/issues/56
    Thanks

Last edited:

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Unfortunately this can't be done by skin button yet on external windows, its only internally on trakt windows at the moment.

I will look at adding support for this soon.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Is there any chance of MP being able to play locally stored trailers? We collect movies and TV shows, yet we're forced to rely on websites having trailers for our movies. Some trailers simply won't be out there, and others will eventually disappear long after we still continue to hold onto the movie. Parsing trailer files doesn't have to be complicated - simply look for 'trailer.xxx' in the same dir as the movie, or <moviename>-trailer.xxx.
    Trying to stream trailers at any good resolution simply isn't enjoyable with mediocre connections.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ^ what your asking for isn't a skin feature, it's a moving pictures feature. If you check moving pictures forum you can create a custom category + filter to have all ur trailers into a group.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Ugh, having all trailers in a group would be terrible! I just want to browse my movie collection, see something that might be worth watching, and view the associated trailer for it. I take the point that this isn't a skin issue, unless a skin could place a link on the screen that invokes an action such as "start movie", passing it the trailer path/filename.

What I find strangest of all is that nobody in the world seems to want this feature. With a large movie collection, it's the only way apart from the metadata to help determine if I want to watch a given movie in my collection. To me this functionality seems obvious yet nobody seems able to understand or visualise how simple and brilliant this would be.

Yes, watching a streaming trailer is ok, but for the reasons I originally gave, this option is not the best approach for all users.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    actually for most users streaming a trailer is the best option, if you want to discuss your ideas further please post in the appropriate thread in the appropriate forum, not here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom