Suggestion: Import song ratings of online sources into your tags (1 Viewer)

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    This is something I have been looking around the net for some time:

I'd like to import song ratings into my tags, for example from last.fm

Why would I do that, although these might not fully reflect my personal taste?

I have a fairly big music collection of about 120GB or 22,000 songs. I have some devices Ipod, Android mobile that can carry way less songs. I search for an easy way to fill these devices with good music, for example 5* rated songs. I won't rate 22,000 songs by hand, that's for sure. And I won't go through every song to put it on the phone either. Rather I'd accept that by applying other peoples ratings, the ratings won't meet my taste in every case. But it would give me a 90% solution with not much effort.

While looking round the net for a solution, I have seen some other people looking something like this, but it seems there is no tagger around and no script that can do this.

Maybe there is a demand for such a feature. There are a lot of people with growing music collections. Sure enough, there will be a lot of people who wouldn't want such a feature, but as an option?
    Maybe another unique feature for mptagthat?

I also take other solutions if anyone is aware of one :)

tomtom

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    This sounds more of some batch job, which is needed to process the complete collection.
    Maybe not even run through the file structure, but using the MediaPortal Database as a root instead of that.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Hi Helmut,

true, it is 95% the same as mp does in the audioscrobbler configuration with album art and artist art.
    Difference is, that mp doesn't write into tags and that this rating thing is too much special interest to be build into mp.

So my imagination was: Take the code from audioscrobbler configuration, exchange artwork with rating, use the tag writing of mptagthat and you're done. (Maybe too optimistic?)

My problem is, that I have no idea how to write such a batch process or a little application.

There is also this suggestion from me you wanted to look at. It is somewhat similar but more complex:

Hi Helmut,

here is another feature idea:

The genre tag is the last tag in my collection that needs some polishing.

I'd like to use multiple tags. My collection is too big to handle this manually. So I looked all over the net in order to find a possibility to use the top tags from last.fm for the genre.

The best solution I found is a plugin for musicbrainz picard called last.fm plus

http://tiptoes.hobby-site.com/mbz/lastfm/lastfmplus.html

It does pritty much what I want to do and has a lot of options including number of genre tags, whitelist blacklist etc.

It is a python script.

The downside is that I have to use musicbrains picard to use it, which might ruin some of my carefully tagged songs. It gives you no control which tags should be updated and Musicbrainz is terribly slow.
    -----------------------------
    Would it be possible to use the script for mptagthat? Don't know what script language is needed.
    Or maybe it could be "wrapped" somehow or ported?

What do you think? Anyone else would like to see this feature?

tomtom

Just give me a hint if you think it is a too special request to implement or if it might come sometime, even with low prio.

Thanks for considering, anyway.

tomtom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom