[OTHER] Suggestions for new GFX card (1 Viewer)

Epedemic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 13, 2006
    Hi

I think my GF8600 GT is dying on me... Sometimes i get horrible pixelation and tearing on eveything (even basic win7 with no background). May be due to that it is passively cooled, and that it reaches almost 90C when decoding 1080i TV.

So i'm thinking of a replacement, but what is the best value at the moment?

I'm thinking i want HDMI 1.4 so i'm 3D ready, and it would be nice if it was also passively cooled, and audio out through HDMI would be nice too so i'm ready for DTS HD MA/Dolby TrueHD.

My specs are:
    C2D 2.66
    8GB ram
    Win7 x64
    Asus P5KC (i believe it has Intel P35 chipset)

I prefer something Nvidia based, as i know the drivers pretty well by now, but im open for AMD if there is any benefit.

Hope someone will indulge me :) Thanks in advance.

*Edit* BTW im running SAF v5.00 latest, and everything is running smoothly.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm running a gt220 and video wise that takes anything I throw at it, useless for modern gaming though.

Mine is a palit gt220 sonic 512mb, the fan runs silent even if I strain the system using Furmark or OCCT, with max temp hitting 60C.

There must be a few passive versions knocking around by now, but I chose the above because of reviews stating how quiet it was in comparison to other cards.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    ASUS = NOISY, every review of asus cards, whether ATI or Nvidia based, first thing they all state is noise levels being unacceptibly high, for a company of their size you would think they could get this right, been like it for years :(

jackpenno

Portal Member
    May 29, 2010
    Home Country
    Thought i might add, that the 5xxx series of ATI cards have proper HDMI 1.3 TrueHD/DTS-HD audio bitstreaming, that is if your receiver supports it. Hence the HD5570 or HD5750 (Some gaming) are good alternatives. Generally Nvidia offer more bang for your buck though ...

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    im tossing up between the nvidia 240 and 460 for my htpc

i know the 240 is purely for video and has the VP4 (PurevideoHD processor) for better mpeg2 - in australia we use mpeg2 for hdtv...but it may be cool to use the same pc for games at some point

the 460 has the same VP4, can handle games but is additionally blessed with Directx11 whereas the 240 is not....

reviews say the 460 is definitely more power hungry but still remains silent...

hmm decisions..decisions..

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    regarding the Directx11 ..tho...will that come in to play in MP at any point in the noticable future?

I would not have a clue regarding this, might be a bit overkill for what we need as main comments from Dev tourettes are all DX9EX related, maybe he will comment more!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom