Support for very high quality video (1 Viewer)

webs0r

Portal Member
December 17, 2008
Home Country
Hi all,

This is my first post (I think) but I've been lurking for a while.

Mediaportal is an awesome app. You can't get anything better - hardware or software right now :D

I was hoping that one day Mediaportal could support really high quality output video. What I mean here is judder free / frame perfect and high quality scaled video. There's been some good advances being made with Reclock. Now there is a new video renderer (just started) that it focused on high quality GPU-assisted scaling:

MadVR
madVR - high quality video renderer (GPU assisted) - Doom9's Forum

The authors of MadVR and Reclock will be working together to get frame perfect, judder-free output.

As another option it would be nice to be able to use Haali's Renderer.

Is it possible to support other renderers besides VMR9 / EVR?

Cheers

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Lot of good reading in that doom9.org forum thread (as always). Now to the extra renderer, it will need some work on MP code side to support it so it just cannot be added to some selection list...

Some "wishes" before it is good idea to start to integrate madVR support into MediaPortal. Of course if someone has extra free time on his/hers hands I don't mind to see some patch even earlier :p (but at least I personally wont take the journey to the extra work it will take to support a renderer that is not good for a production use (yet)).

• Support for DXVA
    • Support for subtitles
    • No delays on playback start up (this is a must as it might cause huge delays when user zaps between SD/HD channels). After reading the thread, looks like it wont be even possible as 96MB file needs to be loaded on the startup. Maybe
    • Having the render as open source (not mandatory, but would help the integration process a lot as you can debug the code more freely etc.)

webs0r

Portal Member
    December 17, 2008
    Home Country
    You're right. It's much too immature right now. Nice scaling can always be done another way.

Actually the more interesting work is what is being done in MPC-HC's EVR custom presenter that syncs the output to match the display refresh. In my latest tests it works very nicely with EVR, but under VMR9 there is tearing in the video output.

I wonder if work can be collaborated on or borrowed!

So much nicer seeing those slow pans/zooms smooth!

I set MP to load mpc-hc as external player and it works nicely (except for in tv-series, no idea why), but having it integrated to the player would be fantastic!

TheWho

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    It would be great if MP would let it users to enable what ever render, decoder, splitter he wants. I'm deep into colorsience and want a accurate render. What is the problem with MP locking it features to pre decided plugins for their internal player?

I'll go for an external player this time. But it would be nice if you were to choose your specific render, like madVR.

I suppose this is not doable at this time?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    It would be great if MP would let it users to enable what ever render, decoder, splitter he wants. I'm deep into colorsience and want a accurate render. What is the problem with MP locking it features to pre decided plugins for their internal player?

Would require extra coding & support effort to support MadVR. Currently MadVR is pretty much work in the progress so there is no point in supporting it when MP lacks developement resources already. Also if you are all for quality you should do the following:

- Buy 1080p native resolution display
    - Play only 1080p resolution video clips
    - Use EVR

There won't be any difference with MadVR and EVR when using real 1080p video clips as there is no need for scaling (scaling is the thing that MadVR does better than EVR/VMR9).

TheWho

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi tourettes,

I follow your thoughts on developement .

What I disagree upon, is the statment that EVR is in the same line of quality render as madVR. As far as my knowledge reaches. There are some major differences.
    EVR use some kind off EE, maby its using spline for chroma upsampling? It's most noticable on a reference set. The fact that madVR use a higher level/bitdepth of dithering, that in theory among other parameters, would increse the level of color accuracy. This I have not read any documentations on, but it's easy to meassure with a better spectrafotometre like the X-Rite Hubble or a Klein K-10, using a lower end colorimetre such as i1display2/LT would not give accurate results.

Well... This is a complex discussion and we don't have to go there.

I'm happy with what MP does achive at this point. And I can still use a external player in MP.

Your 2 first suggestions are well in line what I allready have in home. I use 2 1080p displays , 1 Pioneer plasma, and one Avielo Spectra DC4. This Avielo is a reference well over most users FP. Well let's not argue about that.

Maby the ability to freely set the directShow filters will come in future release of MP? Like MPC-HC/ZoomPlayer does today.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Maby the ability to freely set the directShow filters will come in future release of MP? Like MPC-HC/ZoomPlayer does today.

Doesn't "Automatic Decoder Settings" under the Video Player options do just that?

No, as renderer is one component that needs to be supported on the MP code as well. MediaPortal needs to mix the GUI and video graphics on the DirectX level.

webs0r

Portal Member
    December 17, 2008
    Home Country
    You can also get spline scaling going with ffdshow if you have a fast enough processor, though I've not done any tests to compare with MadVR.

Actually right now I'm more keen to be able to get judder free playback on MP. Since using mpc-hc with accurate vsync and reclock, I think this is a very noticeable improvement - especially if you love watching documentaries (lots of slow panning and slow zooming scenes where judder is irritating).

I wonder if it is possible to collaborate or borrow their evr rendering code :)

Combined with MPs refresh rate switcher ... :eek:

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I don't know if I'm doing right "up-ing" the thread but... madVR is mature enough now... isn't it tourettes? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom