Supporting DLNA (1 Viewer)

mbr

Portal Member
September 28, 2009
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Hi

I've a global request:

Did MediaPortal supporting DLNA in the future?

I think this would be one of the future requests. Samsung startet with her TV's.

Many thanks for your information.

Regards

Markus

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    MediaPortal 1 doesn't even have upnp so where would it support dlna.

MediaPortal 2 will rely heavily on upnp (upnp a/v) and we recently discussed dlna support. BUT to get even the specifications for DLNA we have to buy them first (not cheap).

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ok, i costs.. I thould DLNA was an Open Standard ., even GPL or something.
    if it's proprietary, let it rot.. :)

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

JoeSmith

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Supporting DLNA

holy mess - that really sounds bad.
    i just got a new samsung flat tv and thats the only reason i'm really interested in dlna. Right now im testing mezzmo and it works pretty fine (for me). I can watch tv-service recordings, avi's and mkv's and that's pretty much all i need for the bedroom.

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    ok, that's bad..
    250-300 profiles ? - reminds me if early years of Bluetooth:
    "If you were lucky, and device A, and B had the same profile support, and same/similar vendor-related bugs, you might even be so lucky that it worked *almost* perfectly."

Even a simple Bluetooth handsfree could have sound delay, noise, feedback, short range (below 50cm) or other problems, depending what phone you used.

lamothe

November 20, 2010
    Canberra
    Home Country
    This is very coincidental, I've been looking around for a DLNA implementation for my Windows machine and haven't found one that is free and will work flawlessly with my new Samsung 7 series. I need one that can transcode MPEG2 TS files (from one of my other FOSS projects, Me TV) and scale it because the TV's Media Player does not respect the PAR of the video. Some implementations claim that they can do transcoding, but all attempts have failed. Out of desperation I thought that I'd check if MP supported it in the hope that I could modify some code and I ended up here.

Long story short, I've started to write my own (in C#) and have made good progress (but still not working), maybe you can just steal that, or run it side-by-side with MP. I expect that I'll have something within a few weeks.

DieBagger, I figure that I'll GPL the code so it could be used in MP but I'm not going to champion that, I don't need it in MP. There's still the issue of DLNA certification which I also don't care about :)

Users who are viewing this thread