Suspend mode S3 (1 Viewer)

verhohner

Portal Member
February 9, 2007
Hi,

I have problems configuring the Suspend mode S3 on my HTPC. I have a Asus M2NPV-VM and I have choosen S3 in the bios. I also checked the "activate Suspend Mode" in Windows. But if the PC goes in the Suspend mode it is always Suspend to Disk ( S4 ). How do I configure the real Suspend to Ram mode, so the PC wakes up in 3-5 seconds?

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I believe you also need to disable Hibernation within the Power Options control panel applet, otherwise Windows will hibernate rather than suspend.

verhohner

Portal Member
    February 9, 2007
    Dear,

You can find info on that subject via search forums and type dumppo.

Cheerio
    Tv

I downloaded the dumppo.exe, but I can't start it. Theres a window for a second, but then it dissapears again.

@ Bagal

Were I can deactivate Hibernation? If I deactivate the setting in the Power Options I only have a Standby mode available!

@ Paranoid

I tried that Tool, but it didn't work either. Now its getting frustrating...

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    @ Bagal

Were I can deactivate Hibernation? If I deactivate the setting in the Power Options I only have a Standby mode available!
    As far as I'm aware this is the only way to get S3 standby to work, though I could be wrong as I'm not 100%.

If you want to use S3 standby, why are you bothered whether hibernation works or not??
    and also, why not at least try disabling hibernation to see if it solves the problem then you've got something to work with and can then try to get hibernation working in combination in the future.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    OK, if you have tried all options above, and only HIBERNATE works correctly, chances are your motherboard does not meet the requirements of ACPI or there is some hardware that is causing this to fail.

Could be anything from installed RAM, to a PCI card that stops things from working as they should.

Worth searching the ASUS website\forum for any issues\incompatibilities regarding the Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard regarding standby.

Sorry cannot be more positive, but had standby issues with last ASUS motherboard i owned (but like you hibernate worked).

Asrock and DFI motherboards on the other hand have had no setup issues with S3 for me.

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Paranoid Delusion
    He did say he chose S3 in the bios, so I'd assume the motherboard supports it (unless of course it's a buggy implementation), in which case it could be one of the other components you mention.

verhohner
    I'd follow Paranoid Delusion's advice and look on the Asus website, but too be more positive than he, I do have an Asus mobo that correctly enters S3. (of course that in no way helps you whatsoever....:sorry: )

verhohner

Portal Member
    February 9, 2007
    I just tried dumppo.exe again (this time with the command line) and it shows me the following:

Admin policy overrides
    Min sleep state......: S3
    Max sleep state......: S3
    Min video timeout....: 0
    Max video timeout....: -1
    Min spindown timeout.: 0
    Max spindown timeout.: -1

As you can see S3 is enabled. I also deactivated Hibernation in Windows and configured my "Power-Button" from the iMon IR to go to the Standby. As I pressed the button, windows gone in the standby and all fan's stopped. But I cannot really say if the PC was in Standby or just off. As I pressed the button again, the PC booted again and startet Windows normaly. Thats not what I wanted...

EDIT:

I changed the config of the Power Button on the IR with the iMon config now. I think there were 2 commands attached to the button. First the Standby mode from Windows, and then the Power off from iMon. Thats why the PC turned off.
    Now I have selected the Standby mode in the iMon config. The PC goes to standby now, but it awakes again even before the harddrive stops. Why that?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Lets seperate your remote from the problem.

Can you connect a mouse, and enable it in device manager to "bring windows out of standby"

then put windows into sleep state from start menu, should see "entering standby" screen.

wait until no noise and then allow 30 seconds.

Move mouse and see if it comes out of standby.

Should resume back to windows, If not and it reboots then hopefully we have ok'd the remote as fault still exists, if it resumes from standby normally then something to do with remote.

What memory are you using, and voltage does it recommend by the manufacturer
    if above fails. or try removing 1 memory module at a time if more than 1 fitted.

Make sure your bios is set to use optimised settings + S3 and save.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom