Operating System Suspend Server during night (1 Viewer)

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi, could someone help me setting my server to sleep during night?

I have used SetPower to create the appropiate power plans to make the computer go to sleep during night and wake up in the morning.

However not always it goes to sleep mode.

I think its because of my haupague T500 which is usb based and keeps system awake.

Has anyone got a server with this card going to sleep mode?

I have also tried powerschedule of tvservice but does not work either.

I have windows 7 ultimate in my server.

thanks a lot

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think its because of my haupague T500 which is usb based and keeps system awake.

Hi Gixxer

Running Win7 64 with no problems using powerscheduler, so if it was the T500 problem, then surely I would suffer as well.

Using driver 27240.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain

Hi Gixxer

Running Win7 64 with no problems using powerscheduler, so if it was the T500 problem, then surely I would suffer as well.

Using driver 27240.

thanks for that information PD !

I have some random behaviours that make it difficult to see what the problem is.

I have found this very usefull command which reveals that seems a usb device which is causing the problem. funny thing is that sometimes it DOES go to sleep.

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report - Windows 7 Forums

i will look further into it as maybe some applications such as hamachi, utorrent... are preventing sleep mode.

will report my findings for future reference.

:D

btw, i have powerscheduler turned off and i have had some times where computer has entered sleep mode. i guess that in the difference is that the computer will not wake up in case of need for a recording?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I should have also pointed out that the IR part of the T500 will not install from windows update, so that is left with ! next to it, but the tuners themselves seem fine and I do not use the hauppauge remote anyway.

Strangely I'm also having a issue with usb, but its mouse related, 5 or 6 times now have no mouse on resume, so I have been looking for a solution for that :confused:, if I swop over to my 32bit install then have had no issues so really bugging me, as I hate the M$ MCE keyboard mouse LOL, which I have to then use.

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why are you using an external tool at all? PowerScheduler should have all the features you need. If you want your computer to sleep between let's say 23:00 in the evening to 6:00 in the morning you have to enter those values in the "Only allow standby during theses hours" fields in PowerScheduler configuration. Then your server will go to sleep every day at 23:00 + PowerScheduler idle time but also wakeup for recordings during the night (and go back to sleep right after the recording). If your card causes trouble you can try the "forced shutdown" option.

For the wakeup in the morning I'm not really sure if this works with PowerScheduler's own functions. Maybe you can set up some EPG grabbing at 6:00 in the morning to achieve this... I'm using the Windows task planner with a scheduled task executing an empty batch file at 6:00 with the option "wake up this computer for this task" and it works quite good :)

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Maschine thanks for that, you are totally right. The thing is I found the SetPower tool using my laptop when i was away from home so when i got back i tried to apply it to my server without looking into the powerscheduler of tvserver.

I am going to do some tests on the waking up and will report back.
    For now i have disabled the external tool although it might be a nice tool to install in the client computers !!!
    things to check:
    1. if powerscheduler wakes up computer after the "allowed standby hours" -> NO IT DOES NOT WAKE UP COMPUTER !
    2. if server wakes up for recordings set by 4the record.
    3. if server stays "waked up" when a backup of acronis home starts at the middle of the night.

will report in case anyone is interested.

edit in bold

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    ok things are starting to work.

first thing i noticed is that when my usb mouse is connected, SOMETIMES the server does not go to sleep mode. would you think it is a good idea to make powerscheduler write a log line with such information ?? it would be very useful when setting up the system.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    If using FTR, aren't you meant to use windows power settings along with WOL, not powerscheduler.

i have seen in FTR a checkbox to wake before recording. i need to test if it works.

i am still fighting to get powerscheduler to work perfectly as sometimes it does not go to sleep after the 2 min i have set.

i want to confirm that powerscheduler DOES NOT wake up computer after the "allowed standby hours" and then maybe suggest a new checkbox which says "wake up computer after allowed standby hours".

it could be something like setting epg to that precise hour but more intuitive to the user.

what do you think?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    i am still fighting to get powerscheduler to work perfectly as sometimes it does not go to sleep after the 2 min i have set.

because of the prewake up time, think a min of 5 minutes is required, remember in the past having problems with a very short shutdown time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom