tearing in videos (1 Viewer)

patricon

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
there is a lot of tearing when watching videos. I'm using ffdshow as video decoder and when using it into TVedia or Windows Media Player there is not noticeable tearing effect. I've also tried activating a option into Media Portal configuration ( Direct Show Filter control >> Video Mixing Renderer 9 Settings >> Use VMR9 Exclusive mode) but then, Media Portal hangs when i stop the playing video (the video image freezes on the screen)

Regards,

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hardware specifications, are they DX9 compatible.

Please look here for how to make sure we can help you.

Without this information, its like trying to find something in the dark.

thank you

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    TV-Server Version: N/A
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 RC1
    MediaPortal Skin: Replicant
    Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2
    CPU Type: PIV 3.4Ghz
    HDD: SATA 200Gb
    Memory: 2 Gb
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo
    Motherboard Chipset: Intel
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: nVidia 6600GT PCIex
    Video Card Driver: 94.24
    Sound Card: C-Media CMI9880 (onboard sound)
    Sound Card AC3: Yes
    Sound Card Driver: Latest available
    1. TV Card: N/A
    1. TV Card Type: N/a
    1. TV Card Driver: N/A
    MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow build 1320
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow build 1320
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: N/A
    HTPC Case: N/A
    Cooling: N/A
    Power Supply: Tacens Radix 410
    Remote: Genius LuxeMate 810 Medi Cruiser
    TV: Samsung LCD 40" LE40R86BD
    TV - HTPC Connection: VGA Cable

If you need more info, just tell me. I've DX9 installed (latest rev.)

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    try another codecs like MPV instead.

Regards
    Roy

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Why use MPV codecs that are less powerful than ffdshow? with ffdshow i can upscale videos, use filters, etc to enhace the image quality in my Divx videos... anyway, i've tried also using MPV and i have also tearing... using ffdshow codec with any aplication i have no tearing, no problems.... using MP tearing and crashes (with options like VMR9 exclusive mode) so it's a bug in MP for sure... i've also compared graphs in WMP and MP using graphedit and all should work ok, but mp displaying method has some problem... it has tearing and crash problems. You may need to have a little effort on MP play videos engine to have stability and ease to use like other apps (in other apps i only need to install the codec and press play with no problems and no configuration)

Regards,

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Haven't had any probs with crashes or tearing, using nvidia, mpv, cyberlink codecs, but i only output to 800X600 to a 32" crt.
    Can you attach a mediaportal.log after a tearing problem to your post?

Regards
    Roy

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Ok, here they are. First zip are logs using VMR9 exclusive, when i press PLAY i got a black screen... can stop the movie but without image. Second zip are with VMR9 exclusive DISABLED (unchecked) in MP configuration (but looking at the log file i've noticed that it appears that MP tries to enable VMR9 exclusive ?¿?¿)...
    Anyway, i hope this helps.... Now i've also tried ZoomPlayer and videos quality are perfect, smooth movement and picture quality, no tearing...

NOTE: It's not related with this bug, but i've also noticed that when windows screensaver are showed it works fine, but whe i press a key to return to media portal the last picture from screensaver keeps frozen on the screen and i can ear sound feedbak from MP, but no image...

Best regards,

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    From your log i see that MP handle the codecs selection over to Windows & not using what you have specified in MP Setup -> movies -> movie player, which means the one with highest merits get selected & if that one doesn't handle your format with a proper filter you will have problems.

So, how does the graph look in GraphEdit (if you can attach a image of it to your post)?

For avi's i have installed latest xvid & ffdshow((latest for both)plain straight forward installation without extra settings) & that seems to work with those movies i have

Regards
    Roy

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    [Ok, i'll try now to attach a capture with graph edit, but merits, graphs, configs, etc... it seems to be only affecting to MP and not all the other software that works very well... May be that the codec selection method when creating graph in MP has some problems, or it's not very intelligent to select the right ones...

regards,

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Actually for some movies it is windows that selects & not MP & to many codecs installed can brake the list. MP Uses DirectX & direct show filters(like games) which means your codecs has to be able to output to that renderer, if it can't then you will have problems. We could have avoided this with pre building graphs, but that takes much time & since different computers like different codecs, it will be a huge task ;)

Regards
    Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom