tearing in videos (1 Viewer)

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Quick question. Does this tearing happens on both fullscreen or and windowed mode or only when MP runs windowed?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I've tried also using MPV but i'm also getting tearing. In other hand, ffdshow is the best codec that i've found because it allows to use filters and i get the best picture quality (blur filter, resize, posprocessing levels, etc). I want to ask you something, if i'm not getting tearing using another players, is because they doesn't use DirectX to show the movies?.

Tearing is caused by MP using VMR9 without DirectX exclusive enabled. Most likely those other players are using overlay (overlay is not available with MP). So only way to fix the tearing when using MP is to get the DirextX exclusive mode to work.

when you ask 'can u play any other content than .avis', do you mean mpgs, movs, and so on?

Yes, I did mean different video formats.

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Quick question. Does this tearing happens on both fullscreen or and windowed mode or only when MP runs windowed?

It happens in fullscreen mode; i haven't tried it windowed...

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Tearing is caused by MP using VMR9 without DirectX exclusive enabled. Most likely those other players are using overlay (overlay is not available with MP). So only way to fix the tearing when using MP is to get the DirextX exclusive mode to work.

thanks tourettes, but how can i get exclusive mode to work in DX9?

NOTE: I've tested using ZoomPlayer in VMR9 mode and there is no tearing, the movie goes smooth... i'm not sure if this app uses exclusive mode to play content.

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    It appears that the latest SVN has fixed some issues with VMR9 exclusive mode, i can use this option now and i've no tearing now... thanks!!!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    12/07/2007 [10:45:11] _Frodo_ mediaportal fixed directshowhelper.dll had dependencies to vista-only dlls so no video/tv could be played anymore on windows xp

Could be this one.

zeflash

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2005
    Home Country
    France France
    Given I now also have tearing, I just wanted to throw in some information.
    I used to have an ATI before, and I was perfectly able to have tearing-free playback without using the VMR9 exclusive mode. In fact I didn't want to use it because in that case it prevents reclock to load, and therefore I'm getting non smooth playback of all 23.976 fps material.

Now I changed graphic card to an nvidia lately ... and now I have tearing. I've moved to vista, and I still get tearing.

In media player classic in vista, only 4 modes are really working:
    overlay, vmr9 windowed, vmr9 renderless, haali output.
    the vmr9 mixer mode needs to be checked otherwise things crawl for a reason.
    I get tearing in all modes except overlay. Reclock does a pretty good job at keeping the tearing down to the bottom (as I told it too), but on really full screen (16/9) videos it still shows up.

What baffles me is that *even* the haali output has tearing. when it's specifically engineered to prevent that!
    So imho, the problem lies in the video driver somehow.

Anyway. I like mediaportal, I developped my own tvseries plugins for it, and now I'm stuck with tearing. viva nvidia!

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I'm using SVN 12/07/2007 and i have no tearing, my graphics card is a nVidia 6600GT, i've VMR9 exclusive mode enabled and latest drivers available from nVidia. with previous SVN vresions i can't use exclusive mode and i was having tearing problems... I'm not sure if the problem is from MP or nVidia drivers or codecs... using ZoomPlayer for example or WMP in VMR9 mode i have no tearing...

zeflash

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2005
    Home Country
    France France
    In my case I have tearing in any application except windows media player.
    When I check exclusive mode in mediaportal and I try to play a video, I get ... a BSOD in win32k.sys.
    peachy huh?
    I'll try to update the drivers when I get the chance. Given it used to work with an ATI and (exact same setup / OS / apps) when I switched to nvidia it stopped working, I'd say it's a driver problem only.
    My current workaround is to have reclock as the audio renderer, and have it managing vsync right at the bottom of the video. The tearing in that case usually occurs on the last pixels which is tolerable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom