[Technical] Performance, Caching, Memory and so on.. (1 Viewer)

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    With skins getting more and more fancy now, with Fan Art, 1080p menus, animations, etc I have noticed that things arent quite as 'snappy' as they could be!

I went from using the 720p Monochrome skin to the 1080p all singing all dancing Black and White skin. As expected, the Black and White 1080p skin istn quite as responsive.

So, my question, or discussion point, is how can I speed things up?

Are the Fan Art images loaded on demand? Or are they all cached? (I woulnt think so, as caching lots of 1080p backgrounds could use up a lot of memory!)

I know most of the skin is cached (hence the skin cache folder! ;-) ), but where is it stored in memory? in RAM, or is it handled by the Graphics card?

At the end of the day, I am wondering how I can improve the responsiveness/performance of MediaPortal when using high-res skins and fan art etc. If it is all loaded into RAM, then I guess adding another Gig to my setup would be a good idea? - I only have 1Gig, probably the worst bit of the setup, but so far it has been fine.

I have a new Graphics card with 512MB RAM, so not much I can do there.

So any ideas would be appreciated, or any explanations on where and how the data is stored. I knwo everyone will automatically say "more RAM" (as thats what I do, and I agree 1GB isnt much), but if so i'd like to know whether MP is running out of memory for caching images.

revs :D

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Well even though I doubt I need it, I ordered another gig of ram. At peak I have around 200 - 300MB or RAM spare, but now I guess i'll have even more.

Crewone

Portal Member
    June 30, 2007
    I have mediaportal at 1080p using the spinsafe 1080 skin.

Performance, especially startup times, are ... well... let's say they make me cry. It easily takes 20-30 seconds to start mediaportal the first time. (C2D @ 3Ghz, Fast WD SATA drive, 2G Memory)

I'm considering getting an SSD because I suspect a lot of time comes from reading a million tiny files, but I can't be sure. (On top of that an SSD is silent which is always a good thing for an HTPC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom