The Media Portal Project has lost Smirnuff (2 Viewers)

wishywashy

Portal Pro
January 31, 2005
Hill AFB, UT
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I can say that I know first hand the important role Smirnuff played in my being able to play music, watch/pause/record tv, play DVD's, look at my weather, and much more all for FREE on my television.

I realize that I am acting too late on this matter and should haved thanked him and all of the developers that give their spare time for my enjoyment much sooner.

Good luck in whatever projects you take on in the future Smirnuff, and seeing what you did here, you shouldn't have any problems.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank the rest of the developers. Without whom my daughter wouldn't be watching recorded spongebob (for the nth time) as I write this. Thank you again!

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    Well this sucks... But I kind of understand why. I read almost every MP post that is posted and he was posting a lot. He would also help people out and would have honest and straight forward answers. Towards the end I think people used him for what THEY wanted. It wasn't like.. here is a request... someone pick it up... it was like... this needs to be done.. and that needs to be done... Someone needs to write this for me. I can understand the frustration this could have caused. I sincerely hope that instead of totally leaving he will take a break and come back to us one day. I want to say THANK YOU for all your totally FREE hard work you have put into this project...

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Not only is it a sad day that we've lost an incredibly talented person who has done so much for MP.....

.....the part that really pisses me off is that there will be people who are going to feel bitter and jaded that their requests probably won't get answered now. They feel that they should have their copy of MP customized to THEIR exact needs and want every little request that their pathetic minds can come up with, implemented in MP because if they want it, it's got to be important!

To all of you people who are pissed off at Smirnoff for leaving, here's a big FUCK YOU.....just for you!

I can't count how many times I've seen people get warned not to "harass the developers" with their requests, yet it continues and I don't blame Smirnoff one bit for finally having enough.

I would like to say THANK YOU to Smirnoff for all of his hard work and time spent with MP. Your help, knowledge, and skill are an integral part of MP and your shoes will be tough to fill.

Thank you from those who appreciate your work. Those who don't, and haven't appreciated your hard work, can go to hell!

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have to say I agree with Khris's comments above. It's a sad day when any contributer feels they have to leave as they've had enough of the hassle. :(

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Its sad, but true. Many developers don't enter the #mediaportal IRC channel any more because they get too many PMs. I think 15 at once was the record !

So if you have an idea post it, share it, but ONCE is enought.

In IRC talk to someone in the main channel before trying to Query/PM them.

/James

Zyphrax

Portal Pro
    October 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    This is a great loss for the Project, but I understand the situation, enough is simply enough. Smirnuff, I wish to thank you for your great work, and the endless amount of time that you have spent on MediaPortal and it's plugins.

One of my favorite things is the MyBlaster plugin, which works a thousand times better than the code which Microsoft uses in MCE to communicate with a topbox.

Have a great Christmass, and I hope that over time, you might want to come back and rejoin the team.

Thanks

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Again what the others have said, this is a huge loss, but I completely understand the frustration. All the best with your life, thank you for all your time and effort, it's been truly amazing. The product and the community wouldn't be where they are without you.

TheVideoViking

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2004
    Groningen, Netherlands
    I think this situation really sucks. I have seen post that made me wonder how long it would take for developers to walk away. With some people, when you work for them for free, instead of saying thank you they complain and demand. The worst part is, those are the people that stick out. For every no-good complaining basterd who should let himself be checked-out, there are at least a hundred people admiring the work that is being done. You might not hear them as often as the complaints, but we are here. So respect to Smirnoff. Hope you will come back one day. And respect to the rest of the team, hope you don’t leave over some childish complaining f^&*$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom