The MOST frustrating video card prob EVER (1 Viewer)

eric.c.mi

Portal Pro
March 11, 2006
Michigan, USA
Ive been using MP for quite some time now. Over a year. It always ran like a champ. I have a nVidia 6800GT made by gigabyte, the one with the heat-pipe. I installed that auto-patcher and it killed media portal. It crashes my whole system if I leave it at any screen, but almost always crashes when I open the TvGuide.

I reformatted to latest XP, all the latest drivers for everything.

Still happens. as soon as I start to browse the tvGuide for a few seconds WHAM! hard reboot. My motherboard even beeps loud as all hell when this happens. I have to kill the power supply.

I checked the L.E.D. readout on my mobo and it reads 6.E which is NOT a valid code. Its not in the manual and its only mentioned a few times anywhere on google.

now the weird part....

I have a brand new PNY 6200 thats been sitting on my desk for months. I swapped it for the 6800 and MP hums like a champ again. I didnt change anything but the card, no drivers were needed as they both use the same nVidia driver. I would just say F it and stay with the 6200 even though it probably can't play many games, except for the fact that I dont have the proper s-video to composite adapter fo plugging this card into the TV. I tried to modify (break the black plastic tab off of) one of my other ones to no avail, they video on the tv was all jibberish. Seems I may have to track one of these down.

So, any thoughts on wtf is wrong with my 8600? it plays games just fine. I DO have to run an additional program to control it's fan speed and monitor the temps, but this never affected MP before. I just dont get it.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
eric

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    Please fill out the support template so we can get a better understanding of what is going on... Also, please post your logs HERE and link them in your next forum post.

eric.c.mi

Portal Pro
    March 11, 2006
    Michigan, USA
    sadly I am forced to use Gigabyte's VGA Utility which includes their V-tuner2 for controling fan speeds and monitoring gpu temps.

here are my specs.

the Log is here

Code:
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC4 - latest svn always
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
    Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
    .NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
    DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
    Audio Codec: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM Audio Decoder
    Video Codec: Nvidia
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    Memory: 1 GB pc3200
    Motherboard: aBit AV8 (VIA K8T800P-8237)
    TV Card Model: Hauppauge pvr-500mce
    TV Card Type: Hardware
    TV Card Driver: -
    Video Card Model: Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT (256 MB)
    Video Card Driver: -
    Video Card Resolution: 1280x1024/800x600
    Video Render Type: VMR9 Exclusive
    Audio Card Model: Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
    Audio Card Driver: -

eric.c.mi

Portal Pro
    March 11, 2006
    Michigan, USA
    I just edited that last post and added the Log. It's important to note that all I did was start Media Portal, press the tvguide on my MCE remote and hit page(chan) up and down a bunch till it crashed. I didn't select a channel or "Start TV" like the log states at the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom