The perfect HTPC motherboard? (1 Viewer)

littlematt

Portal Pro
October 1, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Is there one? Ive just replaced my DFI RS482 (socket 939) when I got sick of the random reboots ( known issue for this MB according to various forums) with an asus M2N-MX (socket AM2). Cant get any 939 MBs these days so had to get new CPU+ram too :mad: . The asus works fine EXCEPT I cant seem to get the CPU fan speed down. Even with q-fan, cool'n'quiet, or speedfan. Could control the CPU fan on the DFI board with speedfan. This makes my new MB/CPU too noisy. Its not acceptable to me, Im quite dissapointed. So Im wondering if you guys could suggest a MB for me. Preferrably AM2 (as I dont want to shell out for another CPU+cooler), must have 2 case/system fan headers, plus be able to control all 3 fans (system, case + CPU via speedfan. Needs to be micro-atx as I have an NSK2400 case. Able to support up to 4gig ram (for ram-disk timeshifting) would be nice, but not necessary (the asus can only take 2). And heres the killer. I have an asus 8600GT SILENT GPU, which takes up two slots. I also need two PCI slots for my m-audio revolution sound card, and my DVB-S card. The thing is the heatsink on the GPU (as is the whole card+components) is on the left of the card when its in the PCI-e slot, looking from the front of the case. This rules out a lot of MBs as they dont have much of a gap between the PCI-e and the PCI slots. The DFI had a PCE-ex1 slot between them which the card just blocked off, not a problem. The asus board has a big gap. I know its a long list of specs, but these are all pretty non-negotiable for me. You may ask why I need the GPU? I intend to upgrade to a 1080p LCD once Ive done enough overtime :p so I can play games on my machine as well. I like the AMD CPUs as they seem to run cooler then the intel ones do. This is from my experience with a socket 478 chip I have in my main desktop. Maybe they have fixed that? I would change if there were no other options, but this would mean forking out for yet another CPU+after market cooler....
One more think I just thought of. I could slow the cpu fan right down with a pot and stress test the whole thing. Its quite a good heatsink so it might be able to handle that. I just like having the option to crank up the CPU and case fans when things start to get a bit warm. For day to day MP use though its nice having a near silent case.

Any of you guys have success with these specs? Or ideas?

Cheers, your input/help is much appreciated.

Matt

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I purchased the Asrock 4core 1333 fullhd, and I am very happy with it. It had some stability problems at first, but not anymore, miraculously. I like the very high quality onboard audio and graphics, and everything can be cooled passively, so noise can be reduced almost to zero if you want.

On the downside, it seems to consume too much power during standby (60W, 90W when on), which could be a point if you plan to have it runing 24/7. One solution I have found is to use hibernation, which works fine together with TV server / power scheduler.

I can recommend that motherboard to anyone.

littlematt

Portal Pro
    October 1, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Splatter are you referring to the 4Core1333-GLAN/M thats the only one I can see on the asrock site thats MATX? I can find this one in NZ similar but not same... ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0 Is is possible to control the cpu and both case fans via speedfan? Cant seem to find that board in New Zeland just had a wee look in pricespy... =( And mega did you have any brand in mind or are they all contollable via speedfan? Cheers,
    Matt

littlematt

Portal Pro
    October 1, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ahh thanks, found em in Australia (Im heading there next month anyway) for about 110 AUD. Looks like the PCIex16 slot is too close to the PCI slots, I would only be able to use one of them with my 8600GT silent in there.... Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Cheers,
    Matt

1gkar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 1, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You don't state what spec you're AM2 CPU is. Stay away from Gigabyte motherboards if it is around the 4800+. I had MAJOR issues. Read here for the heads up on my troubles.

It probably wouldn't suit as it is ATX, only has one 3-pin system fan, & no power fan header. All the best in you're purchase & setup.

Littlemat,

I've just been looking at you're HTPC specs, using a standard CRT TV, do you get a POST/ boot screen with you're graphics card? I don't on my Asus 8500GT & it's bloody annoying. Cheers.

Oh yeah, one final thing: do you suffer from that constant flicker that requires manual resetting of the flicker filter inside Nvidia Control Panel after every boot?

littlematt

Portal Pro
    October 1, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    CPU is 4800x2 socket AM2 (I think). Need an MATX MB as well, not full ATX, but thanks for your suggestion! Apparently the gforce 6100 boards all have fan speed control? Can anyone confirm this? My asus is a 6100/nforce board but no control!

sixgun

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 31, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have just recently finished (well as finished as a PC ever is!) my new HTPC based on a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard. I've installed Vista Ultimate + Media Portal on it and it plays back 1080p stuff with no problems.

You can read about it in more detail here.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

smithdc

Portal Member
    April 28, 2008
    I am planning to build my HTPC in the coming months and the Gigabyte mobo looks very promising especially when combined with a 45W 4850e :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom