Cottbus
Home Country
Germany Germany
Started on: 2006-12-24
last update: 2006-12-24

Summary:Possibility to set the location only for Timeshift-file

Area:MyTV

Description:
I believe it would speed up / stabilize a lot on timeshift-things if the timeshift buffer would be in memory. Therefor you could install a ramdisk-driver and set the location of the timeshift-files to this disk.

Vaaish

Portal Member
June 19, 2006
Greenville, SC
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm not an expert on this or anything but an hour of SD video runs anywhere between 2 and 6gb depending on quality settings and most people are running a gig or less of ram in their HTPC. Yes it might speed it up a little but I don't see this as being a viable location for the timeshft buffer because of the limited space. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Freeman1979

Portal Member
November 12, 2006
Cottbus
Home Country
Germany Germany
I'm thinking of a extra mode with dynamic time for timeshift (not 30/60/90/.. min, but "until disk is full"). I think in many cases you don't need >15min of timeshift. Often you just want to pause for a phone call or toilet or to rewind the last 30 secs. In this case you dont need a big ram-disk, maybe a 512MB Ram-disk will be enough. I'm using a Hauppauge PVR @ ~4MBit/s VBR and there I could pause around 17 min.
I think it could speed up MyTV, just if I compare channel switching with and without enabled timeshift. I would also be good to the hdd life and could prevent the jerking if the hdd cache is flushed.

It must not be a ramdisk, but short timeshifts would be nice if they are done in a memory buffer. Maybe somebody could implement a memory ts mode with undefined length (30 min / 60min / .. / Auto (Memory) ) for people like me who doesn't need a timeshift buffer of 2h ;-)

regards Freeman

Da_JoJo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    you can set the timeshift settings in the config of tv-server.
    reducing the time to wait for signal and such.. it works pretty well as hauppauge hvr can tune in 1 sec. this would require good signal quality but i asume that is not an issue.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    While this in an old post, I'll recommend using RAM to set up a virtual drive on like 1 GB and use this for timeshifting. Works perfectly and the 1 GB drive is the fastest I have ever benchmarked ;)

If you're into SSD a 32 GB drive would be my dream-scenario :p

ItsMe57

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2008
    Bergisches Land
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    pilehave,

Hi, which Software are you using?

I tried a RamDisk Software, assigend a Drive Letter, I changed the timeshift direcory to it, but after that TV was not able to start.

Read/Write, Permission was ok.

Idea?
    R.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

ItsMe57

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2008
    Bergisches Land
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Urgh,

I used the same thing with the problems I told you.

R.

The Software creates a drive with a directory "Temp" in it.

Which path in MP did you use for TimeShift?

Assume R: is the letter.

r:\ or r:\temp or r:\timeshift or what?

R.

settingsun

Portal Pro
    April 1, 2008
    Would this speed up my tv in general?
    I use 4TR plugin which overides my tv, does this have any implications?
    I have 6gb of 800mhz ram can I assign 2gb?
    I rarely use timeshift so would this still be worthwhile i.e speed up channel change etc?
    sorry for all the questions but I am really interested in this but don't want to balls up my installation as it is running sweet at the moment.
    many thanks in advance
    settingsun

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom