[Bug] Timeshift repeating on channel change (1 Viewer)

digidog

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 12, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi, Sorry for the previous incorrect postings.

I will start this post for the timeshifting issue and keep the old one for the recording issue.

Today I cleared all logs then rebooted PC. After Startup, i closed MP

Started MP in debug mode to try and replicate error.

First time everything was fine. closed and started debug mode again.

I turned on TV and TV 7 came on.

Changed to TV 1, but instead of getting TV 1 i get a repeat of TV 7 from same point the TV was initially switched on.
    I waited a few seconds and then get eventually get TV1 from the point when i changed channel

Changed to TV 2 and then go back to start of timeshift from same point the TV was initially switched on.

Changed to TV 6 and get the same. (all these channels are on same mux)

I then go to TV 3 which is on a different frequency from the others and i get TV3 from live point

Further channel changes all work as expected either on same or different frequency

From the logs it seems to be an issue with MP not tuning in correctly to my tuners

There is no signal problem with these cards despite what the logs seem to say, but even if there were it doesn't explain why the timeshift would loop like it does. I have had no problems with this until RC3.

Here are complete debug logs for the incident described above between 2010-05-22 10:35:12.827000 till end of logs.

cheers

DD:)

rmeredit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2007
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    I am getting the same issue. All channel changes begin at the start of the timeshift buffer, which goes back to when live tv was first turned on. I can jump forward as per normal to the current live point, or watch as channel changes happen in the timeshift buffer. This behaviour was not observed in RC2.

Clean logs from debug mode attached.

Cheers,

Rob.

EDIT: I should add that I get the start of playback from beginning of timeshift file even when switching to channels on different transponders.

EDIT 2: Further investigation shows that the problem persists after a hard reboot, but only occurs when switching between SD and HD channels. When switch from HD to HD or SD to SD, regardless of transponder, channel change is as per normal. However, all channel changes are slower under RC3 compared to RC2 in the order of several seconds.

Snader

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 5, 2007
    Aalsmeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I was having this behaviour in RC2. Does the problem go away after changing the timeshift folders in configuration? It worked over here, but the problem came back several times. Since RC3 this problem hasn't occured over here.

digidog

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 12, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As a test today I have created a completely fresh installation of windows 7 on another drive and after ensuring all drivers and other requirements were installed, I installed RC3 and configured with the bare necessities just to get TV up and running.

The fault is still present and recreatable in this installation.

I will experiment with changing the timeshift folder location tomorrow as this fresh installation is still using the same timeshift folder location as my main MP , but as it was completely empty at start of test, i can't see how this would cause a problem unless it is because it is using a folder which is not on the same drive as MP installation but i've never had problems with this configuration before.

Didn't take logs for the new installation yet, but i'll attach them tomorrow also.

thanks

DD

digidog

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 12, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Think I have solved this

Running through the settings last night I noticed a new setting within each card called "Preferred Network Provider"
    which is set to Generic by default and says only to change if you have problems scanning, tuning etc.

I changed both my DVB-T to DVB-T and i could no longer recreate the repeating timeshifting issue which was easily recreatable before.

If I set them back to generic, the problem comes back straight away.

rmeredit - Can you test this out to see if it cures your issue also ?

cheers

DD:)

rmeredit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2007
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    I actually don't have the Generic Provider option. I have four tuners on two separate devices (One of the devices is a hybrid card with another two analog tuners that I've disabled in MP) - going in to edit the settings on all four tuners, DVBT is already selected and is the only option in the drop down box.

It's definitely a tuning issue on my first two tuners (on the same device), specific to live tv timeshifting. When timeshifting, the two highest priority tuners are ignored (7 and 6), and tuner 3 (with priority 5) is used first, presumably because MP can't tune in the requested channel on those devices. This is not the case with recording and the proper priorities are observed. I ran a test a second ago and I'm able to record four separate channels on different transponders simultaneously. An inspection of the Manual Control section of TV Server config showed that recordings were allocated to the correct cards in the correct order of priority.

In response to Snader, I tried setting up brand new folders for timeshifting, one for each card (previously all four tuners were using the same folder). The problem still persists.

Cheers,

Rob.

Attachments

• TV Server Card Properties.png
      TV Server Card Properties.png
      41.7 KB

rmeredit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2007
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Some further investigation shows that two transponders and their associated channels are consistently not being tuned on my first two tuners (on a single PCI-e device), leading to them being tuned in on the second device's first tuner. I decided to remove all channel mappings for the first two tuners so that MP would only use my second device. When I did so, the problem went away - tuning was quick, channel changes were responsive and started from the live point.

Interestingly, this also vastly improved tuning speed on my second device which has always been very sluggish - 5-10 seconds go past when changing channels on this device (which is why it has the lower priority compared to the other device). Unmapping channels from the first device lead the very snappy (1-2 second) channel changes using the second device.

I then unmapped the channels from my second device and mapped them back to the first two tuners. I was then unable to tune into the two problematic transponders although the others were fine. However, channel changes again led to playback from the start of the timeshift buffer rather than the live point.

I should point out that I've been using the first device with MP for over 2 years (since 0.2 days) without a problem. I added the second device about 1 year ago, and apart from the sluggish channel changes have also had no problem.

Cheers,

Rob.

bly

Portal Member
    May 3, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I've got the same issue with timeshift repeating: changing card priority and timeshifting folders did not make any difference. The "Preferred Provider" option gives me just DVB-T available for selection, so i've got no luck with that setting.

edit:

a little update.. i just reinstalled the latest tv-card drivers and it seems that this resolved my timeshift issue

Snader

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 5, 2007
    Aalsmeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    After installing RC3 the problem was gone. But after using RC3 a few days, the problem is back without anything strange happening. Logs show met watching NED1, then switching to NED2. After the switch the timeshift buffer is played from the beginning, showing me NED1 until the fysical switch happened and then showing me NED2.

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I have an idea why it happens...
    Could you all try to reproduce it with provided file and report back.

Attachments

• TvService.rar
      63.8 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom