Timeshifting and recording (1 Viewer)

Phoenix_TT

Portal Member
August 4, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello

Just trying to clarify how TV server works;

With a dual DVB-T tuner you can record 2 channels at once. If you want to watch a 3rd channel then this is not possible due to the 2 tuners being in use, except for if you want to watch one of the channels you are recording, is this correct ? In this scenario if you are watching a channel that's being recorded, then timeshifting is not necessary ?

Are there bugs in the current RC2 SVN of TV server with timeshifting and recording ?

asboe

Portal Member
March 5, 2008
With a dual DVB-T tuner you can record 2 channels at once. If you want to watch a 3rd channel then this is not possible due to the 2 tuners being in use, except for if you want to watch one of the channels you are recording, is this correct ?

I have one tv-server with one DVB-t card and 3 clients. I can watch tv on each client with no problem, and it doesn't have to be the same channels. At the same time it is possible to record several programs.

H/V Asboe

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

in an DVB environment you can watch / record all channels that are sent on the same transponder. Often these are about 4 channels. So theoretical, you can watch / record 8 different channels with two DVB-T tuners. Afaik there are currently no big problems with TV server RC2. What problems do you have?

Flip.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Just trying to clarify how TV server works;

For the UK there are between 6-10 channels per mux (transponder), if you are tuned into any one channel you are able to record the rest of the available channels.
    So a dual tuner could possibly record upto 20 channels at once, as long as they are all over the same 2 muxes.

There are 6 muxes available, so can still get recording conflicts happening ocassionally, but as so many shows are repeated, not that bothered :)

With the built in MyTV you can only record 2 channels, so a major difference :)

Obviously the more TV cards you have the less conflicts could happen anyway.

ps. you need a big HDD to cope with that amount of recordings, also the motherboards bus speed effects how many real recordings can be sent from TV card to HDD, so thats a limitation that needs to be taken into account.

The most amount of recordings I have had on the go at any one time was 6.

Regards

Phoenix_TT

Portal Member
    August 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. I will need to do more testing.

I'm certain that I've recorded more than 2 channels due to number of channels on any MUX. This is really good functionality.

However with the latest SVN, if I'm recording a channel and then decide to watch it, I think (will need to verify), that it I select start watching from begining it messes up and doesn't work.

Also I've have been experiencing the error, unable to start timeshifting when recording too, but like I said I'd need to do more testing.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

yeah, just collect enough data. So we can help you to trace the error down. I had a problem with TS and recording too sometimes ago. But this could be resolved by rebooting...

Flip.

Phoenix_TT

Portal Member
    August 4, 2008
    Home Country
    I've now updated to the latest SVN (30-8-08, rev 20078)

I have a dual DVB-T tuner. As a test last night I set MP to record

Channel 5 - Fifth Gear 20:00 - 20:58
    Channel 2 - Hairy Bakers 20:30 - 21:00
    Channel 2 - Dragon's Den 21:00- 22:00

I was also watching Fifth Gear on Channel 5. Would you expect it to record the above without any problems ?

Well it didn't for me it had problems with Channel 2 Hairy Bakers 20:30 - 21:00 and only recorded 5 mins of this!

Should MP be time shifting as well as recording eg if I was watching Channel 5 then it would be timeshifting, but if I recording the same show as I'm watching, then the timeshifting wouldn't be necessary ?

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I've now updated to the latest SVN (30-8-08, rev 20078)

I have a dual DVB-T tuner. As a test last night I set MP to record

Channel 5 - Fifth Gear 20:00 - 20:58
    Channel 2 - Hairy Bakers 20:30 - 21:00
    Channel 2 - Dragon's Den 21:00- 22:00

I was also watching Fifth Gear on Channel 5. Would you expect it to record the above without any problems ?

Well it didn't for me it had problems with Channel 2 Hairy Bakers 20:30 - 21:00 and only recorded 5 mins of this!

Should MP be time shifting as well as recording eg if I was watching Channel 5 then it would be timeshifting, but if I recording the same show as I'm watching, then the timeshifting wouldn't be necessary ?

As far as I know, timeshifting is always active, even if you are recording the channel you are watching...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom