Timeshifting and recordings .... (1 Viewer)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Started on: 2006-12-02
    last update: 2006-12-02

Summary:
    Change the logic between the timeshifting function and the recording function

Description:
    I normally watch TV with timeshifting OFF as I know that if I want to pause live TV, the pause action will enable timeshifting.

However, if I schedule a program to be recorded and then decide to watch it at the same time, then timeshifting is active. That's OK, but when the scheduled recording finishes, the timeshifting stays enabled and even when I change to another channel the timeshifting stays on.

This is what I would like to happen:-
    If timeshifting is OFF when the scheduled recording starts, then it should be turned OFF again when the scheduled recording finishes.

If timeshifting is OFF when the scheduled recording starts, then it should only be enabled for the channel that is being recorded. Switching to another channel (with 2 or more TV cards) should leave timeshifting OFF for the channels that are not being recorded.

Why is this important?
    I use PVR Scheduler to wake and sleep the PC - but it won't put the PC to standby after a recording (that I have been watching) with timeshifting still enabled.

It makes channel changes much quicker.

It seems to me to be the logical thing to do ... :)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Why is this important?
    I use PVR Scheduler to wake and sleep the PC - but it won't put the PC to standby after a recording (that I have been watching) with timeshifting still enabled.
    afaik PVR Schdeuler will not send your PC into hibernate/standby as long as you are in the MyTV module.
    you have to leave MyTV to let PVR Scheduler hibernate your PC. or?

how is this related to timeshift?

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Some of this it's already in Mantis (timeshift scenario) as a bug.....

Regards
    Roy

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    afaik PVR Schdeuler will not send your PC into hibernate/standby as long as you are in the MyTV module.

PVR Scheduler will only put the PC to standby if MP is at the home screen and TV is not active. But with timeshifting ON, the TV is still active while at the Home screen (it displays in the small overlay window) and thus PVR Scheduler does not put the PC to standby ... :(

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

PVR Scheduler will only put the PC to standby if MP is at the home screen and TV is not active. But with timeshifting ON, the TV is still active while at the Home screen (it displays in the small overlay window) and thus PVR Scheduler does not put the PC to standby ... :(
    You know you can stop playback at the Home screen by pressing 'Stop', right? If I remember correctly, that's B on the keyboard.

ggt-labz

Portal Member
    January 3, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    I have the impression that the fact time shifting is always on after a recording and also it is impossible to shut off the PC when a recording is finished are very annoying behaviours. If I understood well this is caused by the fact this minor two-second black hole associated with time-shifting shut-off has prevented developers from fixing this. To me the net result is not good. Consider what you very often want: schedule a record now or much later without being present (that the main advantage of recording, no?) when recording ends. What results now is your PC being on for ever making the hard-disk run and run for hours because of this useless timeshifting. From my point of view this is really bad and worse as compared to the side effects of fixing it.

So I agree with Taipan: two problems are related, and we should solve either the time-shifting auto-off after recording (when entering recording with time shifting off) and/or allow the power management plugin to shut the PC off after a recording (as does the Windows 'shutdown' command).

Lardy

Portal Pro
    April 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    If timeshifting is OFF when the scheduled recording starts, then it should be turned OFF again when the scheduled recording finishes.

I agree with Taipan.

spenca

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have the impression that the fact time shifting is always on after a recording and also it is impossible to shut off the PC when a recording is finished are very annoying behaviours. If I understood well this is caused by the fact this minor two-second black hole associated with time-shifting shut-off has prevented developers from fixing this. To me the net result is not good. Consider what you very often want: schedule a record now or much later without being present (that the main advantage of recording, no?) when recording ends. What results now is your PC being on for ever making the hard-disk run and run for hours because of this useless timeshifting. From my point of view this is really bad and worse as compared to the side effects of fixing it.

So I agree with Taipan: two problems are related, and we should solve either the time-shifting auto-off after recording (when entering recording with time shifting off) and/or allow the power management plugin to shut the PC off after a recording (as does the Windows 'shutdown' command).

hi!

this is not a problem since there is no relation between "timeshifting on" and actual recording!

if you record a show and want to go to bed ;-), just go to home-screen. you see the actual show running in mini-window. press stop and you will see no mini-window any more, but the recording indicator says you that recording still goes on. if recording is over, and if you are in home-screen the powermanagement sends you to hibernate. no problem of running harddisk all time!! :cool:

clear?

/spenca

EDIT: jetboys answer should be read! ;-)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    if you record a show and want to go to bed ;-), just go to home-screen. you see the actual show running in mini-window. press stop and you will see no mini-window any more, but the recording indicator says you that recording still goes on. if recording is over, and if you are in home-screen the powermanagement sends you to hibernate.

Yes, I agree that is a suitable work around ... :)

But, I still don't think that the overall logic around recording and timeshifting is correct.

For example, if I have 2 TV cards and I have timeshifting off and a scheduled recording starts for another channel than the one I am watching, then the following occurs:-

1. I can change channels while the recording is underway, and timeshifting is only on for the channel being recorded - which is correct.

2. But, if I manually stop the recording, timeshifting then stays on then for ALL the channels - which is incorrect and inconsistent with point 1. Timeshifting should be off, as it was before the recording started.

However, I understand that to change this logic is not a trivial exercise and is therefore not likely to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom