Timeshifting on RamDrive on TV2 (Vista x64) (1 Viewer)

bregga

January 28, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
After having lot of issues getting TV3 working on Vista x64, (tried 10-15 builds) I finally gave up and reverted back to 0.2.3.0.

(Could not get the TV server to scan any channels, whereas the old engine works fine).

One of the things I was looking forward to, in TV3 was to use a separate folder for timeshifting - in my case a 4GB Ramdrive. Recordings should still be on my regular hard drive. As you know, there is no such option in 0.2.3.0.....:(

After some trial and error I found out the junctions points feature in Vista can solve this, and for those interested here is how:

1) Create a Ramdisk of your choice. I used Qsoft RamDrive Enterprise (not freeware, but at $12 it's a steal). I could not get the freeware one's to work properly on x64.

2) Bring up the command line (as admin) and use:
mklink /J path configured in Setup/Card1/TempBSE Ramdrive_volume
in my case with the default settings (and my RamDrive as B:.)
mklink /J c:\users\admin\documents\My recordings\card1\TempSBE B:

Done.

You now have created a directory junction making MP think it's creating timeshifting files in the cardX\TempSBE-folder while in reality they are stored on the RamDrive. Say goodbye to hard disk activity when timeshifting :D

DBeck

Portal Member
October 2, 2007
Home Country
England England
Could you use this program Link Shell Extension to do a similar thing in XP?

Question 1: Do you think its possible time shift on a pen flash drive?
Question 2: If possible would time shifting on a fast pen flash drive be faster than running from the hard drive?

bregga

January 28, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Could you use this program Link Shell Extension to do a similar thing in XP?

Yes, it supports volume mountpoints, so I'd say so. However, if I was running XP, I'd probably go for TV3 - where there is support for a separate timeshifting folder from start.

Question 1: Do you think its possible time shift on a pen flash drive?
Yes, sure - but note there is a HUGE span in the read/write performance on USB flash drives.

Question 2: If possible would time shifting on a fast pen flash drive be faster than running from the hard drive?

Possibly, but unlikely. AFAIK flash mem excels at seak times - not transfer rates.

kuehnch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2006
    Cologne (Köln)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To run the tvserver3 on a 64bit-system without any problems, you have to compile the tvserver against the x86-architecture to make sure, that it is executed in 32bit-mode (needed, because some filters are compiled for 32bit support).
    Works very well here.

bregga

January 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    To run the tvserver3 on a 64bit-system without any problems, you have to compile the tvserver against the x86-architecture to make sure, that it is executed in 32bit-mode (needed, because some filters are compiled for 32bit support).
    Works very well here.

Thx for that! Can you explain that in plain English, please? Especially the part "compile the tvserver against the x86-architecture":confused: :confused:

Any pointers appreciated! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom