Too many groups on this forum? (1 Viewer)

markius

Portal Pro
December 26, 2006
Maidstone, UK
Home Country
England England
I think there might be too many groups on this forum.

Is there a reason that we have separate groups for "Mediaportal 1 / Help on Development / Quality Assurance (Bugreports) / 1.0 RC4 and SVN builds" and "Mediaportal TV-Server / Help on Development / Bugreports: TV Server / 1.0 RC4 and SVN builds"?

Is there a reason that these haven't been merged into a single heirachy?

M

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi,

After reading your post I re-looked at the forum-groups and to be honest most of it make sense to me... Except for one or two groups most them are in-line with the different MP components..

1st....There is the general section that relates to anything that does not relate to specific MediaPortal functions....I see this as a introduction section that welcomes the first time users, and allows us to write about anything we find interesting.
    2nd... There is the official MediaPortal1 application group that relates to all standard MP functions and the old TV-Engine. This is broken down into the general, support, development and plug-in sections....which all relate to official release of MediaPortal1.
    3rd...There is the TV-Server application group that only relates to the official release of TV-Server. Even though this works with MediaPortal1 it is still a separate application with all its general, support, plug-ins etc sections.
    4th...There is the SVN section that relates to the weekly/monthly patch releases that are not yet part of the official MediaPortal1 and TV-server releases...

So if we look at the forum used by you for this post.....you selected the perfect section :D :D :D

markius

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Maidstone, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    I agree with you about the 1st section but I think that the 2nd, 3rd and possibly 4th sections could be rearranged.

My personal preference would be to see all of the general talk/improvement suggestions etc moved into a single branch and then have a separate branch for support/bug reports.

I don't like the way that the support/bugreport section is split between TV-Server and Mediaportal because many users aren't able to do the necessary analysis to correctly locate the source of the problem. Once a developer has looked at a problem Mantis can be used to correctly pin the bug to either the TV engine or front-end.

What do you think?

Mark

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If a thread is started in a wrong section, i.e. MP rather than TV-Server, it is no problem for a team member to move the thread to the correct forum.
    Of course posting in the wrong forum makes the chance of the post getting the right attention less probable. But if user can't figure out where to post, then newcomers section is probably a good place to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom