Ongoing Torby's mediacenter worklog (1 Viewer)

Torby

Portal Member
April 25, 2008
Home Country
Norway Norway
Here's my mediacenter worklog. It's up and running, but not finished. Some soundproofing and improved cooling is still needed. Anyway, thought I'd post some pics of my progress.

Specs:

Case: Silverstone LC17
Motherboard: Asus P5K, P35, Socket 775
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2,66GHz, Boxed
Disk: Samsung SpinPoint 500GB 3.5" SATA2
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 512MB Heatsink (Fanless)
RAM: OCZ Platinum XTC 2048MB DDR2 PC6400 KIT
PSU: OCZ 500W StealthXStream
Tuner: Digital Everywhere Floppy DVB-T
I/O: Logitech diNovo Edge

This spec was chosen after a lot of reading, but also from a limited budget. The CPU is built with the 45nm technology, which allows it to run quite cool. RAM is cheap nowadays, so I chose 2 Gigs of pretty decent RAM. The Samsung disk is known to be somewhat quiet from what I've read. The ATI gfx card should have enough grunt to process 1080p material, and also has builtin support for audio via HDMI. I'm using an old DVD player at the moment, while waiting for the BlueRay players to become cheaper.

Anyways, here are a couple of pics of the case, while I resize more pics from the build.

kabinett_front_side.JPG

kabinett_front.JPG

kabinett_front_luke.JPG

kabinett_innvendig.JPG

Ok, over to the build itself.

I pretty much disassembled the case to begin with. No thumbscrews here, so tools are needed. The front I/O panel is still mounted in this picture (top left). As you can see, the case comes with 2 rear mounted 80mm fans. There's also room for 2 fans in the front.

SG1L8692.JPG

So here's the motherboard. Nothing special really. Got onboard digital coax output, and fairly much room around the cpu, in case I'll be using a larger cooler later. It has also got passive chipset cooling.

SG1L8693.JPG

Trial-mounting the motherboard. Notice how it sits close to the front panel mounting brackets (top right).

SG1L8694.JPG

Torby

Portal Member
April 25, 2008
Home Country
Norway Norway
Update, more pictures.

Here's the powersupply. OCZ 500W. Looks good, and comes with nice sleeved cables and black connectors. Only bad thing is that it's not modular.

SG1L8695.JPG

Gfx card ready to go in. Fanless goodness. The card is surprisingly small, compared to the more high-end cards.

SG1L8696.JPG

Gfx card, psu and cpu-cooler trial mounted in the case. Still lots of room.

SG1L8697.JPG

Since this case doesn't have any 3.5" bays, I decided to remove the front I/O panel and mount the Floppy DV-T there.

SG1L8698.JPG

Removed the mobo etc, and mounted the DV-T card. Fits like a glove.

SG1L8699.JPG

Torby

Portal Member
April 25, 2008
Home Country
Norway Norway
Right - time for more pictures.

Mounted the motherboard. Notice how close it sits to the DV-T card.

SG1L8700.JPG

Another view, now with the coaxial cable connected. It's tight, but it works.

SG1L8701.JPG

Fitted the CPU.

SG1L8702.JPG

Fitted the nice and shiny RAM.

SG1L8703.JPG

Mounted the harddrive, and started tucking away the cables.

SG1L8704.JPG

Another view. Notice the 12V cable, juuust long enough.

SG1L8705.JPG

Mounted the CPU cooler and a DVD drive I had laying around. It's and IDE drive, so the cable is quite big. But it works as a temporary solution. I will get a BlueRay drive when they get a bit cheaper.

SG1L8706.JPG

Comments welcome! :)

Torby

Portal Member
April 25, 2008
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hi!

Atm I'm just using the two oem fans in the rear, and the boxed cpu cooler. I'm getting a bit of noise from the moving air, and some vibration noise. I'm guessing the harddrive is to blame for that, so I'll be getting a harddrive silencer. I'm also going to mount one fan in the front, and use vibration dampers on all the fans. I also have to get rid of the vibration noises..

So I'll say it's fairly quiet, but there's always room for improvement! :D

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have no clue about that PSU but otherwise you've chosen the components very well :)

Torby

Portal Member
    April 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I have no clue about that PSU but otherwise you've chosen the components very well :)

Thank you. I don't really know much about the performance of the PSU, but it's as quiet as my MIST 500W, at half the cost. :)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    RAM: OCZ Platinum XTC 2048MB DDR2 PC6400 KIT

See you have these fitted in what looks like slots 1 and 3, for dual channel mode most motherboards require either 1-2 or 3-4 slots to be occupied.

I can see the thought behind heat seperation\good airflow etc, but they will naturally run hotter if they have to work harder in single memory channel mode, where they do not have to struggle and are a lot more stable in dual channel...

Check your motherboard manual to see what it recommends.

Looking really good BTW, bet you be well made up to impress the friends when it's finished. :

Torby

Portal Member
    April 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Good point! I actually hadn't thought of that when I installed them, it just seemed logical by the color code. I checked it out, however, and it's recommended to use slot A1 and B1 for dual channel mode. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom