Trick to add unofficial trailers support to moving pictures 1.0 using category view (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Trailers are not officially supported by moving pictures yet, and will not be for sometime. However this trick will allow you to very quickly create a category for trailers and watch your locally available trailers. This method will only work if each movie is in it's own movie folder.

This guide is intended for advanced users. I think that https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/moving-pictures-284/app-copy-artwork-details-movie-folder-71649/ is a really useful program, because if you copy/move/rename files or directories your movies are always correctly identified in moving pictures, also if you reinstall moving pictures it makes it really easy + fast to re-import all your movies.

Step 1 - Make sure your database is up to date

Load moving pictures configuration, and do a scan to check your database is up to date

Step 2 - Create nfo/pics within movie folder

Use the mediaportal artwork copier standalone .exe to create backdrop.jpg, folder.jpg & info.nfo within each movie folder in your collection. https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/moving-pictures-284/app-copy-artwork-details-movie-folder-71649/

After using this program you will have a directory structure something like this

d:\movies\batman begins\batman_begins.avi
    d:\movies\batman begins\info.nfo
    d:\movies\batman begins\folder.jpg
    d:\movies\batman begins\backdrop.jpg

The info.nfo file will be used whenever you reimport your movies into moving pictures.

Now repeat the process, but choose to save the movie nfo as "trailer.nfo"

(This will allow moving pictures to import trailers, by looking at trailer.nfo, because moving pictures will not use the original info.nfo for trailer.mov because there are multiple video files ie (the movie and the trailer) within the same directory)

Step 3 - Download the trailers

Install Media Centre Master , this app has an option to automatically download the trailers and save them as trailer.mov , note this app also creates a mymovies.xml file in each movie folder. If you want to delete this you can type "del /s d:\movies\*ymovies.xml" where d:\movies\ is your movie folder. There is also another app called mtsa that can download trailers for currently screening movies here, however this requires more manual input.

So you end up with a folder structure like this

d:\movies\batman begins\batman_begins.avi
    d:\movies\batman begins\info.nfo
    d:\movies\batman begins\folder.jpg
    d:\movies\batman begins\backdrop.jpg
    d:\movies\batman begins\trailer.mov
    d:\movies\batman begins\trailer.nfo
    d:\movies\batman begins\mymovies.xml

Step 4 - Rescan your movie shares folder

Moving pictures will import all the trailer.mov files
    It will automatically use the correct fanart and dvd cover
    It will scan trailer.nfo to get the movie details for each trailer.mov

Step 5 - Define the categories

You have to add an exclusion filter to exlude all the trailers from your normal view, and then add a trailers category with a filter to include only trailers (see screenshots below) Note: I used "trailers" in the screenshot but you need to use "trailer" without the s.

You should also set Sort order to "Full Path" / "Ascending" so the movies are all in order.

Note: Moving pictures does not officially support trailers, as I imagine the developers will do it properly with an auto trailer downloader and support for different types of trailers etc in the future...
    Issue 26 - moving-pictures - Add Trailer Support - Project Hosting on Google Code

trailersetup2.gif

trailersetup1.gif

trailersalt.png

Trailers.png

rasmuskarlsen

Portal Pro
    October 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thats a nice feature :D I will deffently try it out :)

The only thing missing now is an ability to play it directly when previewing movie details!! :)

The integrated feature wth this, is currectly scheduled for version: 1.3.0 :(

But 55 people rated it as important, so it's currently the enhancement, that most people rated!!!!! So we can just hope it will be moved to 1.0.1...

boombastic

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2007
    I followed your procedure and it appears to works fine but if i go into the Trailer Category and select the movie it plays directly the movie itself not its trailer as it is set in the playback order of that movie within Moving Picture configuration.
    Am i missing something?
    Beside this i'm very interested in how to import the trailers with MTSA as it allow to import from an italian site (i know this because i use it within the showtimes plugin)
    Many thanks.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I followed your procedure and it appears to works fine but if i go into the Trailer Category and select the movie it plays directly the movie itself not its trailer as it is set in the playback order of that movie within Moving Picture configuration.
    Am i missing something?
    Beside this i'm very interested in how to import the trailers with MTSA as it allow to import from an italian site (i know this because i use it within the showtimes plugin)
    Many thanks.

It works fine with me. If you look at the movie manager in mov pic config, did it import as two copies of the movie, or one copy of the movie with 2 file parts? If it is 2 parts it might be because you have enabled the option "Always Group files in the same folder" even if you don't have this ticked moving pics will pick up nicely named multi part movies.

You can use the showtimes plugin and set it to not delete trailers, then you will gradualy build up a collection of trailers.

rasmuskarlsen

Portal Pro
    October 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    There is one major problem, with this suggestion!!

mediacentermaster, is not suitable for 80% of all users, since mediacentermaster don't support "Torrent" folder names: like ex.
    The.Ugly.Truth.720p.BluRay.x264-METiS

The folder name has to be "The Ugly Truth +Year" If mediacentermaster has to recognize it :/

So as far as i can see it, you will have to rename all your folders, to use this "Trailer fix" with mediacentermaster, and Moving Pictures...

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks, I already have pretty folder names, so didn't realise that MCM was picky. BTW, there is a program on the forum that will automatically rename all your movie folders based on the moving pictures database.

rasmuskarlsen

Portal Pro
    October 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Ya, but if you don't wan't to rename your folders.. You can't use mediacentermaster for trailer download!

Ex. i do not wan't it because i think it's easier to keep track of, if a folder contains a bluray movie... And the possibility that it will screw everything up, by beginning and renaming everything is big !! :/

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yea, i guess it's not suitable for you. I have spent an hour or two in the past renaming all my movie folders, and now keep them with pretty folder names. I use K:\HD MOVIES\ and K:\SD MOVIES\ to keep them seperate.

SimplyC

Portal Member
    September 13, 2009
    Ya, but if you don't wan't to rename your folders.. You can't use mediacentermaster for trailer download!

Ex. i do not wan't it because i think it's easier to keep track of, if a folder contains a bluray movie... And the possibility that it will screw everything up, by beginning and renaming everything is big !! :/

Not sure if this will help you,but this is V1 of a little app I wrote to download trailers. It uses a regex to clean the file name, before doing the search. So if you know your regex you should be able to amend to suit

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/moving-pictures-284/launch-random-trailer-before-movie-70168/

It's not got a great return rate (about 50%) but still, I tried

I'm working on an updated version that doesnt look like its crashed when downloading a movie, but I think i've got to start from scratch, so it may be a few weeks (Santa may be here sooner!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom