Trying to trouble shoot HTPC problem (1 Viewer)

Topher5000

Portal Pro
April 5, 2006
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 Beta 1
MediaPortal Skin: Revision/Xface
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP3)
CPU Type: AMD X2 3800
HDD: WD 500gb + Seagate 1tb
Memory: 895mb
Motherboard: MS-7207PV (MSI) K8NGM2
Video Card: Asus EN8600GT Silent
Video Card Driver: PureVideo 1.02.223
Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Sound Card AC3: coaxial out
TV: Epson HC720
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

In the last couple of days my HTPC has been just shutting off. It'll just go dead. I have to flip the switch on the PSU, unplug the cord, plug it back in & flip the switch.
My first thought was the PSU, so I've tried 4 different ones & it still happened. I then tried new RAM, but it still did it.
What's odd is that it only happens after I start MediaPortal. I'll boot up, start MP, try browsing the movies & it'll shut off. I've booted up, started Media Player Classic & played a 16gb HD .ts file for an hour and a half with no problem. During this, the system temp rose from 28c to 31c & the CPU temp went stayed at 35c. These are from the BIOS.
I then started MediaPortal & it shut off while browsing the movies.
Is it even possible that a software problem would cause this behavior?

wowski

Portal Member
September 14, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Maybe check the Powerscheduler settings for Mediaportal and TV server, they could cause the PC to shutdown after a set amount of time. Not sure about the need to unplug though, that sounds a bit more like a hardware issue?

Topher5000

Portal Pro
April 5, 2006
That's what I was thinking, but I can use Meedios (yeah, try using that without a LOT of reading) & XBMC with no problem. Anything to do with MediaPortal crashes it though.
I restored the computer to a month back, unistalled MP (the full uninstall) & tried reinstalling it, but it still crashes.
I'll try reformatting the HD & starting from scratch before I think about a new mobo & CPU. It doesn't cost anything & I'm off next week so I'll have the time. In the meantime I can still play music using the Xbox upstairs & watch movies with Media Player Classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom