TS and TP - transport stream file support? (1 Viewer)

pglenn

Portal Member
January 7, 2006
Does MediaPortal work with these files (TS, TP) - work well? I have a TS file that I recorded and it stutters, both audio and video. I have seen other posts where it was suggested to use other video players for TS/TP playback than the built-in MP one.

Patrick

pglenn

Portal Member
January 7, 2006
hmmm, 60 views and no suggestions, nobody else using TS and/or TP files within MediaPortal??

Patrick

falser

Portal Pro
June 5, 2006
I'm using Zoomplayer as my external video player. It can playback ts files if you install the latest version of fddshow, and has *a lot* more options. You don't need zoomplayer pro, that's for dvd playback. Though the pro gives you a few extra options, give it a try.

pglenn

Portal Member
January 7, 2006
yeah I saw another post that recommended zoomplayer, and I had someone else recommend theatertek. the thing that "worries" me about going outside of MP for playback - I would lose the PlayList ability wouldnt I? I like the ability to load up multiple videos and just have them go...

Patrick

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Not sure what to say, Ive got a few TS files here and they play fine in MP. I dont have many though so I dont exactly what any of them frequently so I cant comment beyond that.

falser

Portal Pro
    June 5, 2006
    pglenn said:
    yeah I saw another post that recommended zoomplayer, and I had someone else recommend theatertek. the thing that "worries" me about going outside of MP for playback - I would lose the PlayList ability wouldnt I? I like the ability to load up multiple videos and just have them go...

I didn't spend much time with the built-in player. But I think there's more advantages than disadvantages by using zp. You can configure it to use the nVidia Purevideo decoders which gives you hardware accelerated playback of ts/mpeg files (uses your video card GPU). My CPU is on the slow side (AMD64 3200), and my cpu usage now hovers around 30%, rather than the 80-90% using a software codec. Not sure if MP can be configured similarly, I didn't spend long with it enough.

I don't use playlists, I usually recombine videos myself, and always rip movies into a single file. You could perhaps make asf playlist files, zp will probably have support for them.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    You can configure it to use the nVidia Purevideo decoders which gives you hardware accelerated playback of ts/mpeg files (uses your video card GPU). My CPU is on the slow side (AMD64 3200), and my cpu usage now hovers around 30%, rather than the 80-90% using a software codec. Not sure if MP can be configured similarly, I didn't spend long with it enough.

MP runs off the directshow system, so it will use whatever mpeg2 codec you choose in setup and every other codec is chosen based on codec merit.

pglenn

Portal Member
    January 7, 2006
    Well I'm not a codec expert by any means. I am also running AMD64 3200, and currently have nvidia video decoder as my video codec. the PureVideo would be compatible with the ATI 9800pro card if I downloaded/switched to it??

Patrick

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    It will work with other cards, you just dont get the *special* feature list its supposed to provide. Cant hurt to try and see if you get better PQ or lower CPU usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom