Tuner not waiting for Dish to turn? (1 Viewer)

Chinnok

January 26, 2009
Nova Scotia
Home Country
Canada Canada
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.0.0
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Wide
Windows Version: XPprof. sp3
CPU Type: AMD Sempron 3400
HDD: 60G
Memory: 512MB
Motherboard: ECS K8M800-M2
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9600
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Twinhan 102G
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver: BDA 1.2.3.8
2. TV Card: Easy TV
2. TV Card Type: Analog
2. TV Card Driver: WDM 2.3.1.8
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

I'm trying to set up a dish motor at the moment to go just between 2 satellites 123W and 125W, later I will add more satellites.
I have succeeded in getting the channels scanned in and the dish going between the 2 satellites, this was a pleasant surprise as many programs won't support this with BDA drivers.:D
The problem I am having is switching between channels on different satellites, (no problem on the same sat, takes 2-4 seconds), every time I get a time out error and a pop up screen asking if I want to return to the previous channel, I select No, and reselect the channel I first selected.
If I'm really lucky it will come up after a few seconds delay, usually it takes 2-5 attempts, but finally it always comes in.
It normally takes about 4 seconds for the motor to move between these 2 Sats. As a Newbie I'm guessing from looking at the logs but the tuner would appear to be trying to tune in the new channel straight away whilst the motor is still moving. :confused:
Its not a big deal when watching TV but could be a problem using the record schedule.

Is this not waiting for the dish to move before trying to tune the new channel a bug or more likely something I have not set up correctly?

Attached is the tvserver_tv. log and other files from Mediaportal watchdog
Last time Mediaportal was used it was viewing Unknown 13 (PBS Create on AMC21 125W) it was turned off and restarted after clearing the log files.
This is the sequence of events

5.41.00 approx start time via the watchdog
5.43.00 MyTV selected
5.43.50 TV On Selected, Video appeared in about 6 Seconds, PBS Create on screen.
5.44..45 channel WNYI on Galaxy 18 123W selected, error message appears after a few seconds, I selected not to tune to previous channel
5.45.05 Channel WNYI selected again, successfully tuned and video appears after a few seconds.
5.46.00 program terminated.

There is a Diseqc switch as well as a motor, appears to be OK although I haven't tried the second LNB yet.

Chinnok

January 26, 2009
Nova Scotia
Home Country
Canada Canada
This is the part of the log where the tuner card appears to be attempting to tune as soon as the command has been given for the motor to move, if I'm reading this right, a big IF, would a crude and dirty fix be to increase the " LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms" time to 2 seconds?
This would increase the normal tuning time by 2 seconds but allow up to 10 seconds for the motor to move between satellites (I only need about 1/2 that).
If more time is needed to move between other satellites waiting time could be increased or maybe a better option would be to increase the number of waiting intervals.
Only problem is I have no idea how or where to make a change like this. :oops:

2009-01-26 17:44:51.078125 [13]: DiSEqC: goto position 2
2009-01-26 17:44:51.265625 [13]: TwinHan DiSEqC cmd:4 0 0 0 E0 31 6B 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 succeeded
2009-01-26 17:44:51.562500 [13]: TwinHan DiSEqC cmd:4 0 0 0 E1 31 6B 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 succeeded
2009-01-26 17:44:51.687500 [13]: dvb: LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms
2009-01-26 17:44:51.703125 [13]: dvb: LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms
2009-01-26 17:44:51.734375 [13]: dvb: LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms
2009-01-26 17:44:51.750000 [13]: dvb: LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms
2009-01-26 17:44:51.781250 [13]: dvb: LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms
2009-01-26 17:44:53.703125 [13]: dvb: LockedInOnSignal could not lock onto channel - no signal or bad signal

TrevorC

Portal Member
August 6, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Chinnok did you resolve this problem? I am also seeing this problem on RC1 and the latest SVN. Interestingly I didn't have a problem on the RC prevous to RC1.

Regards

Mew

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
Hertfordshire
Home Country
England England
Hi Chinnok

I don't know if this will help but there is a setting in TV Server Configuration / General Settings / Timeshifting tab that is called "Wait for unscrambled signal". The default appears to be 5 seconds which does not sound like enough time in your situation as you need to wait for the dish to turn and the card to retune. Upping this may solve your problem.

Mew

Chinnok

January 26, 2009
Nova Scotia
Home Country
Canada Canada
Thanks Mew
I really appreciate the reply and the idea, unfortunately it didn't help but it was a good idea.

TrevorC
No progress so far, I have actually run into more problems with the tuner writing over previously scanned channels on a different transponder on the same satellite, fortunately this can be fixed by editing the channel list and rescanning.
The tuner for satellites seems to be a work in progress, very interesting what you say about older versions working.
I think I'll wait till the next version is out before trying again.
Thanks

TrevorC

Portal Member
August 6, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Mew & Chinnok,

Thanks for the advice, I have tried increasing the Time-shift buffer and 'Wait for unscrambled signal' to 30 seconds. Unfortunately the 'No Signal' error box still appears after about 2 seconds, meanwhile the dish is still moving.

My TV.log looks pretty much the same as Chinnok's. I may try to get some clean logs and post them this evening.

Chinnok. I have not had any problems with channel lists with this build, but I have not re-scanned / scanned any new channels yet.

Chinnok

January 26, 2009
Nova Scotia
Home Country
Canada Canada
You may not have the same problem on your side of the pond, I believe the problem is at least partially caused by the way NA satellites list their transponders (most don't).
In my case if I scan Galaxy 18 123W transponder freq 11720 which has mainly stations provided by Equity Media and then scan 11800 which also has many channels from Equity media all the previous channels from Equity Media are over written.
The solution is to stop the scan once the first transponder is scanned and go to the Channels list and edit the providers name by deleting or changing a few letters (changing the channel call sign name doesn't work) and then scan the next transponder, but don't rescan the first transponder, it may be necessary to edit the transponder/parameters satellite ini file to prevent this, it's been a while since i did this.
Myth Tv has the same problem with channel scan and a similar problem with the rotor although it does wait for the rotor to turn before trying to tune and occasionally successful switches between satellites.
I guess there is not many people using rotors on true FTA satellites.

MARKFNZ

Portal Member
August 8, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'd also be interested in any update on this. I don't have a dish turner, but a DiSeQc to switch between 2 LNBs, and often when I change channel which requires the other LNB, I get "no signal - unable to start graph". But if I retune the new channel again, it works. I think there is a delay for the DiSeQc to change, and so doesn't happen quickly enough for the card to get the signals.

Any ideas from the developers to add a small delay after issuing a DiSeQc command? I have tried turning up the "Wait for unscrambed signal" to 20 sec, but that only affects the wait to get a key from the CAM for a scrambled channel I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom