TV cards, new forum section (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I really would like to see a new section on the forum "TV cards Pro's and Con's"

Ideally this Would then have subsections for manufacturers.

Hauppauge
    Kworld
    Technotrend
    etc.

Then subsections for DVB-S, DVB-T, Analogue

The reason for my request is for cards that work with MediaPortal, but have issues. ie Hauppage T500 usb based pci card will not work with powerscheduler (anyone who has this card working ok let me know).

Yes I know this info could be put on the wiki, but as proven time and time again, who reads it.

This is not to be a support part of the forum, more a information of working issues for individual cards (Viewing TV, is taken as working fine, so no TV issues please, ie "cannot create graph" ), and because it is listed under manufacturers with subsections would be a lot easier to manually SEARCH.

This may stop duplicate posts in regards to my card has issues with this function appearing constantly.
    May also give us a definitive answer to which is the PERFECT working card\s for MediaPortal.

And yes the really good information from posts can be pasted into the Wiki :)

Please post your own thoughts on this new subsection, as i believe this would really tidy up, the TV card questions side of the forum.

Regards

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    I think this would be good, as I've spent a lot of time trying to find out which would be the best DVB-T card for me. Currently its not that easy to find a good summary, even looking through wiki. There just basically seem to be a lot of re-occuring threads for similar cards etc, a dedicated forum/sub-forum would hopefully solve this, rather than them being lost in the general setup section.

For example my Nova-T 500 is fine at the moment in my desktop, but is not going to be much use in a dedicated HTPC, would be good to find an alternative.

When I originally got it, I was using it under MythTV/Linux, before I converted to MediaPortal; so I windows issues were not concerning me at the time.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    I think this would be a good idea also as there seems to be alot of haze over what cards work and what doesn't.

For instance I would like to know what the best DVB-T card would be to get. I would like two tuners, so be it a dual tuner card or two single cards, what is the best? (If anyone can actually answer that)

Thanks.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    ermm.... you mean you want a forum where you can get helpful informations which hardware (i.e. tv-card) to use in your HTPC

Sorry to say this Chris, there are too many avenues to go down and get distracted, and still not find what you are looking for.

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,

I've been going though the wiki looking for cards missing info and trying to add it. (idioteque has done a lot of great work on the majority recently); and generally clean up cards that are in the wrong sections. e.g quite a few hybrid cards I've moved from the DVB-T section to Hybrid etc.

Maybe rather than create more forums, we should list problems/successes there and we could maybe complete the recommended hardware sections with the least problematic setups.

Once the general card info is up-to-date; I was going to trawl the forums for the most known issues with the more popular cards and add to wiki, then if workarounds/issues are resolved, info can be updated (or directed to relevant forum thread). This might stop people repeatedly re-posting the same questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom