TV Combination Seemingly Only Using One Tuner (1 Viewer)

LightsOn

Portal Member
December 20, 2017
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Thank you again for your help.

Sadly no joy. I did exactly what you said and all is the result you said except the ability to stream to two clients at the same time. The .M3u file can only serve one client at a time – not two. Hence the need for separate .M3u files on separate tuners. So 1x .m3u URL on 1x DVBIP tuner and again the same on a second but the second having a different URL in the .M3u. Channel only shows once in EPG and then when selected plays only of one of the two tuners is not in use and thus uses a ‘free’ one.

Is this possible?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The .M3u file can only serve one client at a time – not two. Hence the need for separate .M3u files on separate tuners. So 1x .m3u URL on 1x DVBIP tuner and again the same on a second but the second having a different URL in the .M3u.
    Ah, this was the important information that was missing before...

In this case the mapping is not the right approach, you would need to combine the different channels.

You should scan the different channels on both tuners, having 2 channels as result. Then go to TV Channels->Combinations, select the first channel on left, then the other on right side.

What I don't know is, if this effects visibility in EPG already, I guess not. So you should then also set one of the channels to "not visible" by unchecking it in channels list.

Does this work for one test channel?

LightsOn

Portal Member
    December 20, 2017
    Home Country
    Hi,

So this seems closer to what I was doing first time round. Can I confirm your suggestions?

-> You should scan the different channels on both tuners, having 2 channels as result.

I think you mean ‘on EACH tuner’ so 1 channel on each tuner but each tuner with the different and opposing url in the .m3u. Correct?

-> What I don't know is, if this effects visibility in EPG already, I guess not. So you should then also set one of the channels to "not visible" by unchecking it in channels list.

I will come back to this but if my guess to your above request is correct this was where I started the original post and as such the merge creates just one channel in the epg, under edit in the control panel it shows both tuners, so all seems correct, the issue is that when another client connects it does not see the first tuner is in use and thus uses the free tuner but instead takes control of the ‘in use’ tuner leaving the free tuner free. But let’s come back to this one we are sure on the above suggestion.

Thank you again and sorry to be picky on confirming what you suggest – but I want to be sure I’m doing as you suggest correctly as you seem certain I can achieve what I want and keen to get it working.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just got another thought: probably everything is well :)

If there are multiple requests to tune a channel, it is checked first if there is already a tuner active on this channel. If so, it will be reused by the 2nd client. This means if it is the identical stream, it will be timeshifted once and the users are getting "subchannels" (logical references).

Only if a tuning starts to another channel (real different one, not only by .m3u url detail), than the 2nd tuner will be used for it and a new network stream is requested.

With this information given, please try again

LightsOn

Portal Member
    December 20, 2017
    Home Country
    Hi Morpheus_xx

Thank you for your continued help – you are clearly very astute on the development of MP, understand your suggestion, and agree with your thinking. Your last two posts point to the exact content on my original post. But the question still remains and I still do not have it working:

Q) How to have two separate DVBIP instances – each with a separate .M3u file loaded with different URL to stream but with the same channel name. How then to have just one channel show in EPG and have only one tuner used at a time, no simultaneous tuning, not other clever stuff just simple one channel name in EPG, if a client then tries to play channel and a tuner is in use – leave it alone and use the free one, if none are free, give the all tuners busy message.

(n)

…If you have any ideas how to implement what I seek I am ready and waiting to try all suggestions. Media Portal has proven so much better for my set up compared to DVBLogic (sorry guys) but this issue could be a game stopper as prevents a basic need.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe you are asking the wrong question. If the same channel from one tuner is able to serve many local clients concurrently, why you would need it from another playlist?

So from my side the recommendation is back to first version. Scab once, map to all dvbip tuners.

Good luck

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom