TV Guide very slow vertical scrolling since RC3 (1 Viewer)

robby3

Portal Pro
April 9, 2008
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
I recently installed 1.02 above existing RC2 and noticed that TV Guide vertical scrolling in 1.02 is extremely slow. I did several client installations and tracked it down to RC3. With RC2 the TV Guide is very fast and fun to use. But with RC3 or higher the Guide became much, much slower. That slow that my wife wants the old version back.

I've tried with many skins but with RC3 and higher all my clients are to slow to be used in TV Guide. I switched back the client to RC2 and spedd is back to good. Any solution on this behaviour for later versions?

Thanks
Robby

TV-Server Version: RC4 and 1.02
MediaPortal Version: RC2, RC3, RC4, 1.02
MediaPortal Skin: Blue, Blue3
Windows Version: Vista64
CPU Type: AMD 4450e
HDD: Seagate 7200.80
Memory: 2GB DDR800, CL5
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
Video Card: ATI HD3200
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 8.9
Sound Card: Realtek
Sound Card AC3: HDMI
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppage 4000 S2
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card: Hauppage NOVA S2
2. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card: Hauppage NOVA S2
3. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink 8
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Cyberlink
h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink H.264
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2 and Hotbird 13
HTPC Case: Silverstone LC19
Cooling: none
Power Supply: external
Remote: HP USB IR Remote
TV: Philips Cineos LCD 52"
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi robby3

Just to get some sort of comparison, I have 38 channels enabled, and my scroll speed is unreadable if i just keep the down arrow button pressed.

This was done with a clean install of MP1.0.2 and no re-import of channels\anything.

AFAIK you cannot just update from old RC's release's, you needed to be on 1.0 or 1.0.2, but much better to do a clean install from MP1.0.2 as there have been to many changes regarding files.

I would backup old files before doing these kind of changes, just in case, definitely need to keep up the WAF ;)

robby3

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Thanks Ray,

I should have noted that I do have three different clients, 2 HTPCs and my normal workstation. I did clean installs on the HTPCs and the server. I do have about 20 channels enabled and when running RC2 everything is fine ultra-fast scrolling. Upgrading or fully new installing any newer release causes this problem. I also notice that the preview window with any channel or recorded movie stutters when I try to scroll down from the last row so the whole EPG should move up a row per pressing the dwon button. Then and the whole system becomes very slow as I cannot go back to the menu without a huge delay. I'll do more testings on the different machines in hope to find a cause for the problem.

- Robby

robby3

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    After installing 1.1.0 alpha and beta the problem still persits on all clients including the clients installation on the server. Please note that I did clean installations and rescanned the channels.

Scrolling the programm guide still means waiting 1 to 2 seconds per click when the screen has to scroll up or down. Also I noticed that the current playing programm freezes during the time the data is loaded to display. This is really annoying and looking for a a program in the future is nearly impossible. It doesn't make fun at all.

I feel that the cause for this must be in accessing and/or transmitting and processing the data to display in the client. As said, I do have a client installation on the server too and it just behaves like all the clients in the network. Also the problem started with the RC3 version and still exists with all newer releases. I once made a test by installing an RC2 client with a newer server version and the problem did not appear. Of course such a combination doesn't work anymore.

But how can I do more research in this? How do I delete the stored EPG data in the database just to check if the amount of data is a problem ? And how can I check if there is a problem with accessing the database ? I need all suggestions, tipps and trick to analyse the problem.

Thanks in advance.
    Robby

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Log files????

Without log files, the team have no way to work out what is going on on your system, so most likely they will just ignore your bug report.

Best wishes,

Mark

robby3

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Here are the logfiles. I already runned through them and did not found anything that may point to the problem but I'm not really a pro.

Log -01: Getting into MP, My TV and directly into the EPG. Running down the list with the keyboard. List acts very slow when the list must be scrolled.

Log -02: Getting into MP, My TV and start TV at 23:25. At 23:26 I went into the EPG. Running down the list with the keyboard. List acts very slow when the list must be scrolled and small TV window freezes until the list updates (note: only video freezes, sound ist still fine).

The logs has been done on my standard PC, not powerful piece. But the behaviours is the same on all clients and even on the server itself.

Thanks in advance
    Robby

johns11

Portal Pro
    February 7, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have the same issue so will monitor this thread. With 1.0.2 it's usable but quite painfully slow. When I restored back to my old 1.0 RC1 and the EPG spins by. Another install of 1.0.2 and I get the same issue back.

robby3

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Exactly what my experience is on all clients. I've noticed that after 1.0 RC2 the problem started. Unfortunately, no help and no solution so far :(

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Here are the logfiles. I already runned through them and did not found anything that may point to the problem but I'm not really a pro.

Log -01: Getting into MP, My TV and directly into the EPG. Running down the list with the keyboard. List acts very slow when the list must be scrolled.

Log -02: Getting into MP, My TV and start TV at 23:25. At 23:26 I went into the EPG. Running down the list with the keyboard. List acts very slow when the list must be scrolled and small TV window freezes until the list updates (note: only video freezes, sound ist still fine).

The logs has been done on my standard PC, not powerful piece. But the behaviours is the same on all clients and even on the server itself.

Thanks in advance
    Robby

Something really strange in yout tv.log: it's pretty empty :confused:

Simone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom