[TV] New Feature Request (I think) (1 Viewer)

argypak

Portal Pro
November 21, 2007
Berwick
Home Country
Started on: 2011-01-22
last update: 2011-01-22

Option to Move Recorded TV files to secondary location:

Hi all,

Have been using Mediaportal for a while and am very happy with the product.
Good Work!!

I just thought of something which would I think be a good feature in media portal.

There are a couple of versions of this, but fundementally its the same thing.

I would like to see an option in MediaPortal that allows for recorded tv to be moved to a different location.
This location would be setup during the install and the move would happen in the background a bit like the download option in Online Videos

This would help keep the recorded tv levels down and avoid the risk of running out of space.
It could also be implemented as part of the disk quota option.
When the hard drive gets a bit low, MediaPortal will prompt you to delete or move the recorded tv to a secondary location to make room

What does everyone think?
Is this even possible?

Thanks

Argy

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    there is a file manager plugin which is quite old now that shows 2 directories ( like an FTP client )

only problem is u are stuck waiting for a file to copy and cant do anything else at the same time

u could set a windows directory to "sync" with another folder on your HDD or network but i dont suppose it would help with file space in the way you want

i myself like moving recordings to a USB stick so i can watch them later / elsewhere ..this sound like a great idea

perhaps a "Copy To.." option in a context menu in MY TV - Recordings or something would be great!

argypak

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2007
    Berwick
    Home Country
    The goal here would be to automate a process that is currently manual.
    MediaPortal should be able to achieve all its functionality without having to manually perform tasks outside of the MediaPortal shell.

Just me two cents worth. :D

jonm

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2009
    Wales
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I'd really like this too. I plan to replace the hard drive in my HTPC with a SSD which will be much smaller and won't have much room for recorded TV, but my idea is to move recorded TV programs to my server. If this was somehow automated/built-in it would be really useful.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    jonm, why not just have the recordings folder set to a share on the server?

Leave the timeshift folder on the internal drive as that is more reliant on access times.

jonm

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2009
    Wales
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    hi funkstar, I would do that but the server's not on all the time and I'd have to wake it every time I wanted to record or watch a recording.

argypak

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2007
    Berwick
    Home Country
    The point I'm trying to make is that some of us like to archive what we record on TV rather than just deleting it.
    If there is the option to move recordings from a finite drive (you can make it as big as you want but it will fill up) then it makes managing the process a lot easier.

- Argy

argypak

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2007
    Berwick
    Home Country
    Thanks!

I also wonder whether the moved content dould still be availalbe as recorded tv?

Anyway, thanks again

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Did the "archived TV recordings" feature ever make it into the product? I miss this feature from SageTV - I archived a ton of childrens' TV shows for my daughter which made them safe from being deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom