TV preview not always available in Setup (1 Viewer)

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi all,

I know this a very tiny annoyance, but I would like to hear your comments on this.

The TV channel preview in Setup (on the Autotune tabsheet of the TV card preferences) is not always functioning.

This is what I witnessed:
    • The first time I installed MediaPortal after buying my TV card (PowerColor Theater 550 PRO), I noticed a black square in the TV channel setup. Didn't know at that time it should have displayed a preview of the highlighted channel there.
    • When going into the setup at a later point in time, the preview suddenly did function.
    • After lot of playing around with settings, I decided to start with a fresh install of MediaPortal, renamed my old folder and installed a clear version using Repair in the installation. After autoscanning my TV channels I again noticed the preview is not working. Radio channel preview is working however. And TV viewing in MediaPortal is working without problems.
    • Going into the renamed old MediaPortal folder, I now get static when previewing a TV channel in Setup. Radiostations again work without problems.
    • Closing that Setup (in the old MP folder) and starting it again, I now actually get to hear a radio channel when selecting a TV channel!
    • As an extra test I decide to rename my new MP folder, and start Setup in that folder. Now TV preview works perfectly!
    • Renaming the folder back again, the TV preview still works.
    • Then previewing a radio channel (works great) and going back to the TV channels, previewing a TV channel again, I get to hear a radio channel again!

I don't know how this process works, but it seems to me like some internal things need to be set to be able to view a selected TV or radio channel, and this internal action doesn't always seem to be performed flawlessly. I do not know if the renaming of the folders was a factor in the process (not being able to find configuration files / creating clean files ?) but the TV preview system in Setup seems to be in need of some finetuning/bugfixing...

Like I said, not a very big problem, just a one-time annoyance when setting up MediaPortal. But this could very well scare away newbies.

I am very interested in hearing your experiences.

Thanks, Peter

MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2.0
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo 0.2.2.0
    Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2
    CPU Type: P4-3000
    HDD: 80+250 GB SATA
    Memory: 1024 MB
    Video Card: ASUS EAX300
    Video Card Driver: Catalyst 06.12
    1. TV Card: PowerColor Theater 550 PRO
    1. TV Card Type: Analog, HW grabber
    1. TV Card Driver: ATI Unified AVStream 6.14.10.212

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ok, time for an update.

After watching TV for a few minutes this morning, MediaPortal frooze. I closed MP, but after restarting, I couldn't watch TV anymore. (Unable to start TV - Failed to create graph.) I restarted my computer, and after that I only got static on the TV!

Ran PowerCinema 4 (that was supplied with my card) and the TV picture was perfect... So there was something wrong with MediaPortal now. Retried a few time, but could not get a TV picture anymore, not in MP and not in the Setup.

Now I decided to re-run the Autoscan. And to my suprise, now Setup all of a sudden is able to find the channel names enclosed with most of the TV channels! It has never before been able to do that... And of course, now all my previous channels are visible again, not static anymore...

There is something very wrong with the initialization of the TV viewer, it seems to me...

Any remarks, please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom