[no Bug] TV Randomly loses HTPC signal (3 Viewers)

loutheo

Portal Pro
May 9, 2010
Melbourne
Home Country
Australia Australia
I have recently started using Mediaportal 1.2 and I have managed to get it up and running they way I like it. However, there is one issue which is still occuring. Often my TV will just turn blue, like it has lost the signal from the HTPC, its the same blue it turns when on an input with no signal.

The TV turns blue sometimes when I stop LIVE TV, or when I press GUIDE on my remote. Often it will turn blue as well if I leave it playing music after a certain period of time. Also sometimes after stopping or finishing a movie/tv show the same issue occurs.

mediaportal does not crash when this happens, I can press the button on my remote which I have mapped to the home menu and the tv regains the signal. Only the home key fixes this though, no other key does.

Prior to running mediaportal I was using Windows media centre without this issue.

Does anybody have some ideas about what could be, would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Cheers

MediaPortal Version: 1.2
MediaPortal Skin: Maya
Windows Version: Windows 7 64Bit
CPU Type: Intel
HDD: 500gb Seagate 7200
Memory: 4GB DDR3
Motherboard: GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
Video Card: On board ATI HD4200
Video Card Driver: 10.11
Sound Card: Realtek Onboard
Sound Card AC3: optical out
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Leadtek DTV1000S
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: latest
2. TV Card: Leadtek DTV2000DS
2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
2. TV Card Driver: latest
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: MCE Remote
TV: Toshiba 32C3000A
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

mylle

Portal Pro
April 14, 2005
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Sounds like some kind of powersaving setting to blank the screen after a certain time. Check you power settings.

loutheo

Portal Pro
May 9, 2010
Melbourne
Home Country
Australia Australia
thanks for your advice, I will have a look at the power settings. do you mean the power settings in mediaportal? or windows power settings?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: TV Randomly loses HTPC signal

Hi,

This is not related to any power settinghs of Windows, but actually to a MediPortal built-in screensaver. When MP is idle you have the choice to either reduce the CPU speed or alternatiely blank the screen to protect your TV from image burn-ins. The setting can be found somewhere within MediaPortal configuration and you can set the delay at your wish.

In summary: it's not a bug but a feature.

regards, HTPC_Sourcer

loutheo

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2010
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for the info. I have disabled the screensaver now and I will test over the coming days to see if this fixes the issue, it sounds like it will. I am still curious though as to why, even with the screensaver enabled, I was getting a blank screen after stopping a movie or after stopping live TV. If this is indeed the issue, then it would seem that the timer was continuing to count down while I was watching a video, then upon finishing watching the video MP automatically started the screensaver. My understanding of the feature though is that it should only start counting down when the system is idle, not when playing a video.

Cheers for the help.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hhm, your screen should definitely not immediately blank after stopping a movie or video. This should only occur after the pre-defined time-out as set in the respective dialogue in MP Config.

Time to post some logs :)

loutheo

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2010
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Finally was able to get a log file where the error occurred....

I have attached the file here. In this instance I was watching Live TV, I stopped it and the screen went blank, I then shutdown mediaportal and the logfile was created.

Thanks for your help. :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

loutheo,

You stopped at 19:22:50, right? However, your Mediaportal.log (or rather the .bak) shows no trace of any user interaction and I am somehow lost. Did you produce the logs via the MP Debug log collection mode or by other means? The log-file is surprisingly empty. I see that you are using plugins (e.g. IFC), that should leave traces in the log, which it doesn't.

Can I suggest that you deactivate all "foreign" plugins for testing? You may also want to temporarily move to Blue3Wide to exclude skin issues.

Regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

loutheo

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2010
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I used the second option in the MP Debug log collector, I tried the first option, but when it started MP my remote did not work. Ill try the second option again from within the MP debug mode, this time I have switched the back to Blue3wide as you mentioned. Hopefully I can reproduce the error again sometime today.

Thanks for your ongoing assistance.

loutheo

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2010
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Here is another logfile, I created it the same way I did my previous one, which was with the second option of the MP debug tool.

I used the Blue3Wide skin.
    I pushed stop after watching a movie, then the screen went blank, I used the keyboard shortcut 'h' to get back to the home screen, which brought back the picture on the TV. I accidently started LiveTV, then I shutdown MP. Not sure if you need this info, but thought I would give it just in case.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom