TV Server and WHS ( Windows Home Server ) (1 Viewer)

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    HI all.
    Just wanted to share some info with you all.
    Recently, i decided to setup a TV Server because i found the standby/resume function in MP is still very flaky with my single seat setup.

Anyway, i know that WHS is not supported but i decided to try it anyway and i find it to be working just fine ( so far ).
    I had tried this in the past and had some issues, but now several months later it seems to be stable.

cheers

druffski

Portal Member
    May 2, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi vvulture,

There is a known bug within Windows Home Server in that it corrupts files...
    Microsoft: When certain programs are used to edit or transfer files that are stored on a Windows Home Server-based computer that has more than one hard drive, the files may become corrupted

I received a demo version of the software, but once I heard this I decided not to install.
    Having said that, the concept of WHS is a good one, and once this bug is fixed I'll be investigating.

Hi druffski,
    This bug is irrelevant for TV Server purposes...

cheers

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Please remember that WHS is build on top of the Windows 2003 Server code base. MS is not releasing all needed directshow etc. patches on the server line so there can be al kinds of odd issues that are actually caused by the "unpatched" OS itself. Like Windows 2003 Server the WHS is not officially supported by the team.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Please remember that WHS is build on top of the Windows 2003 Server code base. MS is not releasing all needed directshow etc. patches on the server line so there can be al kinds of odd issues that are actually caused by the "unpatched" OS itself. Like Windows 2003 Server the WHS is not officially supported by the team.

I realise this too, but if it's purely a "TVSERVER" setup, these issues don't really matter do they ? They only become an issue if you also have MP installed in a single seat setup.

If i am wrong, can someone please correct me and include some examples / explanations... thank you.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

I realise this too, but if it's purely a "TVSERVER" setup, these issues don't really matter do they ? They only become an issue if you also have MP installed in a single seat setup.

TV server uses directshow graphs for tuning, grabbing the stream data etc. So its not recommended to use WHS for running the server.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

TV server uses directshow graphs for tuning, grabbing the stream data etc. So its not recommended to use WHS for running the server.
    Thanks for the info.
    Woudl these problems be obvious fairly quickly ? The reason i ask is because i have just re-installed WHS on brand new hardware and all seems to be running just fine, but now you got me worried.

cheers

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well, just try it. Install it and test it hard for a day or two. If it works then case closed.

Well actually, i have been testing for a week or so and so far so good.
    There are some issues, but not related to WHS.

Apart from that, MP seems very stable these days.

Cheers

maarten77

Portal Member
    June 6, 2005
    Amsterdam
    hi vvulture,

i have been running WHS with TV server for about a month now without any problems.

- EDIT: never mind, this problem is already fixed
    I do have one problem though. after i watch a recorded show, stop it, and then press play again, i don't get the message "Do you want to resume from last point?". it never remembers where i stopped watching.

could you please take a look at this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ume-tv-recording-last-time-doesnt-work-39211/

can you check if you have the same problem too? i'd like to rule out that WHS is the problem here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom