TV-server + channels with different aspect ratio + black borders (1 Viewer)

gnavox

Portal Member
May 13, 2009
Hi,

I use MediaPortal 1.1.0.0 and Hauppauge HVR-2200 as TV-tuner card and have a 16:9 television. Hauppauge HVR-2200 is configured with two analogue tuners.

I've noticed that some of my TV channels are sent in 4:3 aspect ratio and some are sent in widescreen (probably 16:9). If TV-Server would just pass the picture along as it was, I could use ffdshow to upscale and stretch the picture to full screen size.

However, I think TV-Server sends the picture along in the same aspect ratio (which I suppose is 4:3) and adds black borders above and under the picture.

Thus I can easily make the 4:3 channels fill the entire screen by just stretching in MediaPortal or upscaling in ffdshow. The other channels, though, have had black borders added in the top and bottom of the picture. If I stretch them, they look like 2.35:1 cinema movies because ffdshow and/or MediaPortal thinks that the black borders are a part of the picture. I use ffdshow to upscale and it does so by resizing the picture to 1920x1080px and running some filters. But because the borders are a part of the picture, I have to watch most of my TV channels in 2.35:1 resolution. When these channels actually send cinema movies, it gets even worse.. :)

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom