TV-Server crashes on scanning channels with Hauppauge WinTV HVR-900H (1 Viewer)

Curry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    TV-Server Version: 1.0.1 Final
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0.1 Final
    MediaPortal Skin: Aeon Wide
    Windows Version: Windows XP Home NL SP3
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon x2 2.4GHz
    HDD: 4GB Flash
    Memory: 1GB DDR2
    Motherboard: Custom (Samsung 320MXN)
    Video Card: AMD 780G onboard Radeon 3200HD
    Video Card Driver: Latest Catalyst
    Sound Card: Onboard audio
    Sound Card AC3: n/a
    Sound Card Driver: Latest
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-900H USB2 + CI
    1. TV Card Type: Hybrid analog/DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: Latest
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Dutch Digitenne DVB-T
    HTPC Case: Samsung 320MXN TV
    Remote: Hauppauge WinTV
    TV: Samsung 320MXN
    TV - HTPC Connection: Native

Hi all,

I've been trying for 2 weeks now to get MediaPortal to scan channels on my Hauppauge WinTV Terrestrial PayTV kit. Regrettably TV Server crashes consistently on scanning - sometimes right away, sometimes after a few 'No signal' scans, but it always crashes completely, causing a spontaneous reboot. The symptoms appear to be those that the DVBfix is supposed to correct, but it still crashes with both DVBfix versions to be found on the forums here including the official one recommended in the requirements section.

WinTV 6 and 7 both work fine, including the encrypted channels. MediaPortal recognizes the Hauppauge WinTV CI module perfectly, and I configured it to pair with the BDA driver. I've tried scanning with all possible setups, with the analogue part enabled and disabled (I don't need or use it anyway), with the parts configured as hybrid and not, and with the drivers from the CD, the slightly updated drivers from Hauppauge's Dutch site, and the bleeding edge latest drivers from Hauppauge's UK site (love them for screwing up on international versioning). All drivers and setups yield the same results - absolute and direct crash.

Attached are the log files from one of the sessions that managed to get a few 'No signal' scans off before crashing. If further inspection or tests are required do not hesitate to ask.

Curry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Upgraded to 1.0.2 today, following stuff is all buggy:
    - When I boot without the CI device attached, it still appears in TV Server Setup as 'CI device found!' with its own tab.
    - Every time I switch to the CI tab, it adds the 3 devices to the dropdown again ad infinitum (so I am now looking at 3 times the same 3 devices in the dropdown).
    - Scan fails without crashing with CI removed. It should still find the FTA channels and probably also the encrypted channels?

And most importantly, when I plug the CI device back in it crashes again right when I try to scan.

I'm running CI driver 1.3607.26283.0, which is later as the recommended minimum 1.3607.26137.

Perhaps this thread should be moved to the official bug reports?

nord2004

Portal Member
    April 30, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I've been through exactly the same scenario as you -> and got the same sad results.
    We need someone to handle this bug .. I need a working mediacenter .. please help us !

Curry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    What surprises me is that on this forum there's a "Get Support" section where you do not get support, and a "Bugreports" section which appears to serve the same purpose but where you do get support. I'd appreciate a response from the team or someone else acknowledging the issues many people appear to be having on XP.

nord2004

Portal Member
    April 30, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I have now done some research, and in my own thread i got the clue ...
    Some tv-cards does only work with software encoding, apparantly because they have no hardware chip to encode the signal .. so I did following mistake at install time:

I did not install any of the crap from the CD that came with the TV card - simply because I'd love a clean installation, so i settled with the driver for the TV card and thought everything was in place ..

But ofc nothing worked, until I actually installed all of the crappy software following the TV-card - and then :) ;)
    I can scan and find the channels - Yahooooooo

:D

Curry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Regrettably that's no solution for me because I did install all the WinTV crap from Hauppauge itself :(

Curry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just to confirm - on a fresh XP Home SP3 install, with all the latest Hauppauge drivers and the latest WinTV 7 v1.1b software fully installed, the WinTV 7 software works fine and can watch all FTA and encrypted channels, and TV Server 1.0.2 still crashes right away on scanning.

ttopstar

May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I also have this issue. I've been using Mediaportal successfully for a couple months for my DVB-C card. I just purchased an analogue card (Videomate x200 from compro). Every time i try to search for channels, the tvserver setup crashes. When i stop the tvserver service and remove the xml file in the application folder like suggested in another post and start the tvserver again, it searches really quick but doesn't find any channels. When I scan then for a second time, it crashes. I also replaced some dll's like suggested in the other post without success.
    I'm able t0 watch with the DVB-C card in mediaportal, and also with the analogue card with another application, so there are no missing codecs or things like that. I also tried with a clean install of mediaportal 1.0.2, same results.

If a developer wants to have a look at this, i will be glad to provide all the data, testing or log files he might need...

Curry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The issue becomes a lot more severe now - I have today tried the Hauppauge WinTV HVR-900H with WinTV-CI combo on a completely different system running Windows 7 RC1 and I get the exact same results - crashes/BSOD's on scanning channels. When I hard disable the CI device in Device Management it does succeed in completing the scan.

It would appear that WinTV-CI support is severely broken in combination with the HVR-900H device.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Yesterday i received my WinTV-Ci. Sadly that crappy A1 version but.... well.

When i used the drivers which were on the CD, then i encountered a lot of issues. Including an BSOD and several "windows resets" (when just entering configuration.exe or setuptv.exe).
    Typical Hauppauge quality i would say. :p

Then i installed the latest available drivers from Hauppauge Computer Works Ltd. And besides the glitch that in the WinTV-CI configuration tab it displays all my TV-Cards 3 times, it worked very well.
    I was able to tune dvb-s and dvb-s2 channels (Hauppauge Nova-S2-HD).

Generally speaking it seems to work fine.
    But it would not dare to recommend someone to buy that thing. Better spend some more money on a decent card with integrated CI. Such as the floppy, or firedtv. Works out of the box.

Note:
    All testing was done on WinXP. I will give it a try on Vista and Win7 RC1 today, but i am not that confident that this will work at all on Win7 (which still is an unsupported OS for MediaPortal, especially the TV-Server).

Curry
    there is no "HVR-900H" on the hauppauge products page. just an WinTV-HVR-900-HD and WinTV-HVR-900

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom