TV-Server on WHS - Collection of fixes and workarounds (1 Viewer)

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As WHS support by the MP Dev Team is virtually nil, I will start a dedicated tread for all WHS tattered MP people who try to install their TV Server and had to look all over the forum for potential solutions

In case somebody has further workarounds or problems please post them in this thread

Cheers,

P.S.: Before anybody complains - I have read the supported platforms statement but would have at least anticipated the observed and reported install issue of 1.1.0 to be solved. (This never appeared in the former versions)

Topic: Dedicated TV Server on WHS Install Problem

Affected: 1.1.0 Alpha, RC1

Observation: TV-Server install showed an error which was caused by not finding TVService config:
    Cause: TVService.config and TVSetup.config were named as TVService.exe.config and TVSetup.config.exe
    Fix: Renaming to TVService.config / TVSetup.config

Topic: Guide to TV-Server Install on WHS

Fix:
    Install WHS
    Apply all updates
    Install PowerDVD8 (Trial) or the h.264 codecs
    Install MS Mediaplayer 11:
    Download MP11
    Extract the content of wmp11-windowsxp-x86-DE-DE.exe (or english) via WinRAR or WinZIP into a subdirectory (lets call it "WMP")
    Copy this directory twice ("WMP1" & "WMP2")
    Copy WMP1 & WMP2 into to C:\ (or somewhere else on the system partition)

Delete WMP1\wmp11.exe and WMP2\wmfdisk11.exe

Open the properties of wmfdisk11.exe and enable on the compatibility tab that the program shall be executed for Windows XP
    Open the properties of wmp11.exe and enable on the compatibility tab that the program shall be executed for Windows XP

Start WMP1\wmfdisk11.exe
    Reboot
    Start WMP2\wmp11.exe
    Reboot
    Apply the DVBfix patch (as described in the MP wiki)
    Reboot
    This is based on a nice step by step description to be found with a good visual description in pdf (both in German) here:
    comfortainement.de - Mediaportal auf WHS

Topic: FloppyDTV / FireDTV install of 5.6Beta driver on WHS

Affected: all

Observation: 5.6 Beta driver can not be installed as setup prog denies installation on WHS ("wrong OS")
    Simple driver install did not work as the driver is not recognised by the TV server

Cause: Hardcoded version check by setup software
    Fix: Two possible ways:
    1)
    Install 5.3 Beta
    Update driver with newest version of 5.6
    For WHS use the available drivers in (5.6): \Driver\XP\BDA, with:
    FireDTV_BDA_DVBS2 for DVB HDTV
    FireDTV_BDA_DVBS for DBV (Standard)
    FireDTV_BDA_DVBC for cable
    and update via hardware manager (Do not uninstall the 5.3 version)
    2)
    Replace the 5.3 drivers with the one of 5.6
    Copy the content of (5.6): \Driver\XP\BDA to (5.3): Driver\BDA\x86
    Install this patched setup

Topic: Channel search skips HD Transponders (no signal) for FireDTV- and FloppyDTV DVB-S2 cards

Affected: up to 1.1.0 Alpha

Observation: Affect is observed and reported on several Threads in the forum. Mostly affecting PREMIERE HD / SKY HD Transponder frequency

Cause: TBC
    Fix:
    NOTE: Current 1.1.0 RC1 (with 5.6 driver) seems not affected

For up to 1.1.0 Alpha:

Clean install of TV-Server 1.0.0
    Reboot
    Install TV-Server of MediaPortal SVN-Snapshot:-03-07-2009 01-58h - Revision:21864
    Install and apply DVBfix
    Make channel scan (should now be working - at least during the last 5..6 times I had to re-install the server)
    Update to a newer TV-Server while keeping the channel list intact​

Edit 16.8.2010:
    Although I do not have much time for caretaking, one issue may be of interest (mostly for German population)

/INDENT]

Topic: Channel search skips new Sky HD Transponders (no signal for Sky Action HD, Sky Sport 1 HD and Sky Cinema Hits HD) for FireDTV- and FloppyDTV DVB-S2 cards

Affected: 1.1.0 final (and below)

Observation: Affect is observed and reported on several Threads in the forum. Mostly affecting PREMIERE HD / SKY HD Transponder frequency https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tipps-tricks-tutorials-176/deutsche-sat-19-2-e-astra-kanaele-inkl-hd-und-sky-tuningparameters-77425/#post574528

Cause: TBC
    Fix:

For 1.1.0 final:

Download new Transponder List file and transfer the transponder list and satellite.xml in the DVBs directory (See above link with further details)
    Re-Scan the Transponder Channels for ASTRA HD

BeLLe

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2008
    Great post - I tried to instal the new 1.1beta tv-server on my WHS yesterday but had to give up due to the install error. Now everything is working fine.

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    WHS Power Management & TV Service Scheduler

Topic: Power Management & Scheduled Records with automatic WHS Wakeup

For: all versions

Ref: See

Description:
    LightsOut as a nice power management AddIn with a calender and client presence monitoring function. Main features are:
    • Scheduled wakeup and power down (shut-Down/Sleep/Hibernate) of the WHS
    • Automatic wake-up (via client software/WOL) and stay awake in case an approved client is present
    • Shutdown / Start-Up services during before/at end of power down periods (e.g. TV-Service )

A documentation is available on the Web-Site (see Ref1)

A forum member wrote a handy script running in the background and updating the task scheduler for wake-up in time of a programmed record by regularly checking the SQL server TV-record database.
    I would like to express my thanks to him as the script is rather powerful, providing not only TV record schedule, but also further features, like process monitoring (more to come).
    Hi Larry, keep up the good work!
    If I am not mistaken, he is also available in the German MP forum WHS Script, but it seems like the script is only maintaned in (Ref2) with the newest features.

Installation
    • Install LightsOut on WHS as AddIn
    • Install the LightsOut Client on all required clients (available in the WHS Software Folder)
    • In the LightsOut Settings include in the "Start/Stop these services on Suspend/Resume" enter "TVService" (This will shut down and restart the TV-Service = no issues due to hibernate/standby of the TV server)
    • Put the latest script available under (Ref2 = "WHS_LO_Erw.vbs") in a subfolder on C:\ (e.g. c:\scripts)
    • Modify the following section (at least):

'**************************************************************
      'Einstellungen
      '**************************************************************
      'Logs / Debug
      Log=1 'Set 1 for Logfiles 0=no log
      Logpfad="c:\" 'Logfile path

'Für LightsOut
      Aktion=2 'Lightsout power down mode 0=no power down, 1=Standby, 2=Hibernate, 3=ShutDown

'for TaskScheduler
      PLUser= "<WHS Admin account ; normally Administrator>" 'e.g. "Administrator"
      PLPW= "<Your Admin Password>"

'For Mediaportal
      CheckMP= 1 'for use without Mediaportal =0 ; qith MP = 1
      SQLServer= "<ServerName\SQLEXPRESS>" ' e.g. "MyWHS\SQLEXPRESS"
      SQLUser= "sa"
      SQLPW= "MediaPortal"
      DWH= "MpTvDb"
      Zeitdiff = 8 'No. Number of Minutes before record
      There are further options, but I would like to keep the merits to the author (as well as bug reports :p )
    • at first run of the script a new task is created which needs to be modified:
      • open Scheduled Tasks
      • open properties of "MP_Aufnahmen"
      • enable on the advanced properties that the Computer shall be reactivated for task execution
      • disable that the task shall be terminated after a certain period
    • Create a new task for "WHS_LO_Erw.vbs" with the following settings:
      • Task shall be run at System Start (to ensure to start the scheduler during bootup)
      • Enter your admin account & password

Thats it

Cheers

Edit: For clarification:
    The script does not create calender entries in LightsOut. It is purely handled via the scheduler, waking up the WHS at scheduled event (in time for the recording) and keeping him awake for the duration of the recording
    Standby/Hibernate is initiated by the LO conditions (e.g. 10min without LO client available)
    There are some other conditions in the script to keep the WHS awake, like for specified IP addresses present (means some other computer), if a specific task is run (e.g. start of internet explorer), etc. - but thats another story.

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I tried this procedure today, but no luck in getting 1.1 beta running. It stops the install and says I have win XP 64 bit version. I am running win 2003 Server SP2. Any ideas on how to get around this?

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I am running win 2003 Server SP2 R2
    but doesnt see messages that stop the installation.
    You can try to run installer in WinXP compatibility mode.
    I tried this procedure today, but no luck in getting 1.1 beta running. It stops the install and says I have win XP 64 bit version. I am running win 2003 Server SP2. Any ideas on how to get around this?

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    If I run the install in compatability mode (windows XP), again will not continue the install due to "OS not being supported". See attached image for complete error popup.

Attachments

• errorCompat.JPG
      errorCompat.JPG
      43.9 KB

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Only significant difference I see is in the 64bit mode. The WHS is running in 32bit.

Did you try to install the whole mp or only the TV-Server?

Cheers,

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Only significant difference I see is in the 64bit mode. The WHS is running in 32bit.

Cheers,

Yep i think that a problem, i use 32 bit server version and only got warning that is not supported but not block installation.
    So you can try
    run installer, goto folder with unpacked mp files and run install mptv server manually.

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So this happened when using the dedicated TV-Server install in the setup - or did you tried the one-click installation?

The only recommended setup selection is for the TV-server. I doubt that a full or client install is working with WHS.

Cheers,

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

Cheers,

Yep i think that a problem, i use 32 bit server version and only got warning that is not supported but not block installation.
    So you can try
    run installer, goto folder with unpacked mp files and run install mptv server manually.

All
    :D thanks for all the help here. Finally got TVServer 1.1beta installed.:):):)

Had to do manual download and whilst it was downloading everything else, went to doc's and settings/username/localsettings/temp/mediaportal and copied the tvserver package across.

Canceled out of the donwload and then ran the tv server package.

Note, had some problems when this was run as the config files were incorrectly named (found them to be TVService.exe.config - so renamed it to TVService.config and then the TVService started up.
    I still get the error message during configuration startup about incompatable OS but atleast it allows me to continue on and use the TV Service. I was getting worried I was going to have to build another machine jsut for the TV Server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom