Tv server release (1 Viewer)

petermcc

Portal Member
July 5, 2006
Hi There,

Just wondering how the tv server progress is? When do we think there will be a release?

What will the release cycle be like? Release candidates before final release?

I am running media portal 0.2, and am very impressed! Thanks for all the hard work!

I am not in a position to run it until it is pretty stable.

Do you reckon it would work on an athlon xp 1700 with 2 tuner cards and 512 Mb ram? Just a rough guess?

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
well i would say that the only real advantage of the new engine is the server / client part, if you are happy the way things are now and dont' plan on running server/ client i would just wait it out until the engine is done and not in beta anymore

shaba230

Portal Member
October 16, 2006
I don't understand what this is, you guys don't have any documentation anywhere to be found that tells me what the heck this thing does exactly. I mean is it really that much to ask to give a general idea to the public about what this is or do we have to sift through forums and release notes to try and piece together what this piece of software might do?? Take a look at the overview section on the wiki, doesn't tell me a THING about what the point of this software is.

Kind of annoying if you ask me

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
for a first post, you're not really going about this the right way.
maybe you should try to change your attitude first before asking questions.

anyway, if you had bothered to look thru the news section on the home page then you would have found lots of information about the new tvenging.

for starters, https://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/global/methods_of_using_tv_server.html

next time, don't be so agressive, or you might just get ignored in future.

shaba230

Portal Member
October 16, 2006
oh but i did find that, and please take a look at this:

https://www.team-mediaportal.com/images/stories/news/tv-server_single-seat.pdf

i mean what is this supposed to mean to someone?

you have:

- watch liveTV
- switch TV-Channels
- use timeshift
- schedule recordings
- view TV Guide
- record currently running tv-shows
- view previously recorded shows
- tune radio stations
- record radio shows
- listen to recorded radio shows
- record scheduled recordings even if MediaPortal client is closed
- automatically resume from an energy saving mode to start scheduled recordings

Well all those things...i hope a home theater pc can do...what's so special about that?
Am i just supposed to infer from that drawing that the point of this engine is to control those commands on another pc.... becuase you don't seem to say that anywhere????

I'm just saying it took me 30 minutes to piece together that MAYBEEE this new engine was going to give me some sort of orb.com/slingbox type functionality but even with all this time and reading, i can't say anything for sure because no documentation outlines it in terms that can be understood by a halfway tech savvy person unless they have been keeping up with these forums for months

p.s. and about being ignored...i can understand it from how annoying i sound in my posts, but frankly i already feel ignored with the lack of explaining that is done on the software you guys have put together, albeit for free.

shaba230

Portal Member
October 16, 2006
ps from even MORE reading i think you guys call TV-Server and TV-Engine the same thing but god help me I can't tell...see when i go to a page about TV-Server....oh like this one:

https://www.team-mediaportal.com/content/view/209/2/

And at the bottom i see "Before reporting any issues, please take a look in our tv engine wiki" it becomes quite confusing becuase at the top, it says : MediaPortal TVServer Beta 1 Release

this is really really confusing. you guys need a nice section on software with a features section (written for normal people to understand with a seperate section on the specifics).

It's really not that difficult, hell I'd love to do it for you guys becuase I know how much work you already put into programming but i haven't the slightest clue what i would write about in the overview or the specifics for that matter.

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
the new tvengine/tvserver IS a beta product - it is not a final release product.

the WIKI tells you everything you need to know at this point about the new tvengine.

the tvengine3 forum section also has everything you would need to know about it.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    shaba230, if you need to know what a server is read about it here.

TV-Engine 3 = TV Server & it's made to use the TV Engine as a service so you don't need to open MediaPortal to record a show (when it is setup on same computer). The other good thing it's that you can use a "Server" with 6 (or more) tv cards & stream the programs to different client pc's running MediaPortal with TV Plugin (for now until it is included as a part of MP), I have this successfully to 3 computers.

Please all keep a nice tone in this thread ;)

Regards
    Roy

wishywashy

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2005
    Hill AFB, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    There are 1000's of "normal" people who use/understand all of this.

TV-engine: uses tv card to produce a file
    TV-server: passes files to clients
    Client: converts file into video/audio

Uses:
    TV-server (beta): central computer with TV cards. Clients connected to server watching/timeshifting TV or listening to radio.
    or
    TV-server (beta): one computer to watch/record with the option to close Media Portal and do something else while recording.

Media Portal Version 0.2.0.0/0.2.1.0: one computer to watch/record. Must leave Media Portal open to record.

The pdf you linked to is an explanation of option #2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom