TV Server / SVN Suggestion (1 Viewer)

KevinM

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Don't know if this forum supports it but I think it would be a good idea if people could rate each build.
    I am using builds from December 2007 and reluctant to try others in the light of comments on the forum suggesting there are more problems with the newer ones.

If I could see how other users rate each build they have tried, it would encourage me to try some of the newer ones and add my comments.

tompa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 3, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Excellent idea, and i think there is a "rate thread" possibility on each built. Don´t know if it works though...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Problem with this idea is.

1. If everyone trying that particular build are all using one similar device ie dvb-t which works great, but dvb-s does not.

2. who can really say a particular day's release works 100%, possibly over a few days\weeks, thats generally the best guide, but a lot of people never report back long term results.

3. And then comes the drivers, what may work for one card type, may not work for another, technotrend springs to mind here.

4. It would cause confusion hell, for the developers to know reallly what is happening, every test has to be done consistantly, and when you see the amount of external things that stop MP\TVServer from working anyway within Windows (just from the amount of not working posts), it just may lull people into false conclusions (including Devs).

Regards

KevinM

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Perhaps it could be done another way - maybe a separate area, or a template for replies that includes a few simple yes/no questions. A 'Vote for This Build' that worked in a similar way to the 'Thanks for this Post' would also be sufficient.

I just feel that there's useful information available that is hard to glean from the various threads.

Another possibility, is to collectively display crash data that is reported back automatically.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I just feel that there's useful information available that is hard to glean from the various threads.

Correct, that's why if there's a usefull post, we point the Dev's to it.

Another possibility, is to collectively display crash data that is reported back automatically.

That would be just be overwhelming for the Dev's to cope with, M$ we are not.

Like a lot of projects we really on the Testers for main info with problems that are found, because we know they have followed a structured format to run these tests.

More than half the times we ask people to use MPTestTool they do not follow the guide and the logs can be totally
    irrevalent to their complaint, or the problem did not occur so does not show up in logs, possibly because it is being caused by something outside MP (so negative feedback there then).

How many people here, can honestly say that MP is the only program running on there pc, only a few with totally dedicated htpc's will meet that criteria, and they are the people we would need real feedback from, as they generally do not muck about with their setup.

Hope this does not sound negative in any way, all help is appreciated in resolving problems, but i do not think a voting system on usability would be one of them.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    all builds of the TV-Server are just for testing purpose.

"soon" we will release TV-Server 1.0 RC1 then everyone of you has a common base for testing. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom