TV Service hangs up, must be killed and restarted (1 Viewer)

GizTVNewbie

Portal Member
March 29, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
TV-Server Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3
Windows Version: WinXP SP2/SP3 (same issue on both)
CPU Type: AthlonXP 2600
HDD: Seagate 60GB
Memory: approx. 512MB
Motherboard:
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 5200
Video Card Driver: Forcewave 175.16
Sound Card: Realtek AC97 Onboard Sound
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: KNC One
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
1. TV Card Driver: KNC BDA-Drivers (same if I try to use Terratec Cinergy 1200 drivers :-()
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: from MP
MPEG2 Audio Codec: from MP
h.264 Video Codec: NONE
Satelite/CableTV Provider: KabelBW
HTPC Case: NONE
Cooling: Simple Air Cooling
Power Supply:
Remote: Mediacenter RC
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hi dear MP community,

I have experienced (starting from MP 1.0 RC2) to have a strange behaviour regarding the TV Service. It suddenly stops working and I do not exactly know why. Since that time I have not tried to get it working. I decided to wait for a final reease and test again then. Now the time has come and it is stillnot working and did not solve my problem since now.
I have found this in the tv server error log file, maybe you see my problem (?):

"
2008-12-28 00:25:59.421875 [Scheduler timer]: Exception :Error: DatabaseUnavailableUnclassified
Gentle.Common.GentleException: The database backend (provider MySQL) could not be reached.
Check the connection string: Server=giztv;Database=MpTvDb;User ID=root;Password=MediaPortal;charset=utf8;Connection Timeout=300; ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Eine Anforderung zum Senden oder Empfangen von Daten wurde verhindert, da der Socket nicht verbunden ist und (beim Senden über einen Datagrammsocket mit einem sendto-Aufruf) keine Adresse angegeben wurde

[.....]

2008-12-28 01:38:36.500000 [SetupTv]: Exception :confused:ystem.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Eine vorhandene Verbindung wurde vom Remotehost geschlossen

[.....]

2008-12-28 01:39:24.109375 [8]: Exception :confused:ystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
"

Can someone ply help me? The tv service stops working at some time... And I have to kill the TVservice and then restart it... After that it again works for a certain time and stops working. It seems that the connection to the DB breaks, but why the hell?!

I have 2 networking cards in the system. One LAN for VNC connection (to configure it remotely) at 100MBit/s. Another is a WLAN connection to connect through a router to the internet at 54MBit/s. I also have a virtual loopback device configured it and set the loopback device as the server to connect to (in the tv server configuration GUI)...
I have tried several things that I have read in this forum (I think all of them mentioned somewhere in the forum). Nothing really worked for me. It seems that there is a networking problem.

To solve my current problem I have tried to add the Microsoft Loopback device (as mentioned above), but no luck. I habe made a clean install without any crap on the system, but no luck.

Please help! I am wondering why I got all these problems... Thanks in advance!!!

Good night,
GizTVNewbie

GizTVNewbie

Portal Member
March 29, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
For me worked as follows...

Hi again,

I think I have fixed the problem here. After reading again through the forum I have found the following posts that helped me in solving my problem... As I expected it was network related. Strange thing, but it works stable now, at least I have not noticed strange behaviours.

First I got this post that brings me the idea of using the loopback adapter:
--> https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/get-support-90/tv-service-stops-running-intermittently-43790/
--> https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-53/mediaportal-without-lan-connection-45398/

Unfortunately this was not enough. Then I have tried to get the problem and finally found this post:
--> https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/get-support-90/problem-tv-server-wlan-41937/index2.html

That helped me fixing the problem on my htpc. Seems that now all is running fine.

By the way, I have noticed that an entry in the WIKI has been done, so here the link:
--> TV-Server/FAQ - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

Maybe adding the information about the networking bridge will help other users... At least it helped me. In my humble opinion there should be a section explaining that in some cases it is necessary to install and configure a networking bridge too. This especially holds if WLAN is present and even more if the IP is not assigned statically but dynamically through a DHCP service.

Cheers and thanks to everybody that helped me! Now I hopefully will enjoy MP without any problems... :D
GizTVNewbie

GizTVNewbie

Portal Member
March 29, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Still problems

Hi again,

still problems persist. The problem is, that Mediaportal itself is not telling anything like "failed to connect to tv server" or something else... It just stops working (or at least the screen freezes). But this happens not immediately, but approx. 30 minutes after the pc booted. Then I have to kill the TVservice process and restart it again... That is annoing :-(

I have collected the log files after the crach using the watch-dog application and attached them to this reply. Can someone please tell me what is going wrong?

By the way, I have also tested MS SQL (currently I am using MySQL) resulting in the same problem. There is some problem with the network config I think, but am not sure. Maybe there is an networking expert (or someone else) out there knowing what is wrong and help me?

Best regards,
GizTVNewbie.

GizTVNewbie

Portal Member
March 29, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Now finally...

I have got the problem. The real problem seems to be the DVB EGP grabber. I have disbled it and switched to WebEPG. Now all seems to work fine.

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I believe I'm having a similar problem. Maybe there is someting in the DVB EPG data that causes database corruption. I was running MediaPortal 1.0 (since it was released) with MySQL, because MS SQL failed to install. But today the TV Service was becoming unresponsive with no trace on the logs. I found that restoring a database backup cleared the problem, but only for a little while. I also saw the the table containing TV programs was being emptied and no EPG was added any more. Since the problem seemed related to the database, I spent some time to fix the problem that prevented MS SQL from being installed and changed to this engine (and uninstalled MySQL).

Disabling DVB EPG isn't an option, I don't have a reliable WebEPG source for all my channels, so I'll try to dig a bit more and see if if find the source of the problem.

GizTVNewbie

Portal Member
    March 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    After a while...

...I figured out how the whole stuff may work for me.
    However WebEPG is not that fun. Many times it works not correctly or the program guide itself is corrupted or the WebEPGGrabber does not get any information at all. At the moment I run the WebEPG manually.
    I really hope that thinks will get right with the DVB-EPG grabber, which I will test later on.

I did some additional tests. First I ran a KNC-ONE DVB-C card with KNC-BDA drivers. I downloaded the latest version from the KNC site. I did that just for testing purposes. All programms were found and all works, beside the DVB-EPG and the hanging tv server.
    In the past (MP 1.0 RC1) I ran Terratec Cinergy 1200 drivers, version 4.8.17 with my KNC-ONE DVB-C. Thus I decided to move to these drivers again (and they are also recommended by MP I think). I downloaded Terratec Cinergy 1200 4.8.18 (the lastest) and made a re-scan. all worked perfectly and no more hanging tv server. But the signal quality was not that good, I had some "holes" when receiving the tv program. So I decided to move back to Terratec Cinergy 1200 4.8.17. All works now as expected. All I have to check is if the DVB-EPG grabber still causes conflicts. I will tell here ASAP...

GizTVNewbie

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom