TV streaming over crossover LAN (1 Viewer)

Freekazoid

Portal Member
October 8, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi all, let me explain the situation:

I have a (rather old/slow) PC with a DVB-C card in it. I was trying to watch a HD channel for the upcoming Euro 2008, but it was just too slow for the old AMD 64 to handle. Then, I tried streaming it to my faster laptop via Wireless-G. The playback here was much smoother, except for the hickups in sound and video that were obviously caused by a bottleneck in the wireless 54mbit connection.

I was wondering whether it is possible to set up the TV Server to stream over a private network between my HTPC Server and Laptop client, using a Crossover LAN cable. This way I dont have to use wireless. Just to clarify, neither PC will actually be connected to the normal network that's set up over a router at this point. There will only be a cable between the HTPC and Laptop.

Basically the current situation
-----------> = wired
-.-.-.-.-.-> = wireless

HTPC (server)-----100mbit------> Router -.-.-.54mbit-.-.-> Laptop (client)

And how it would be

HTPC (server)-----1gbit------> Laptop (client) -.-.-.45mbit-.-.-> Router (for internet access)

The reason I am asking this is because all the LAN slots on the router are occupied and I will only be receiving the HD channel for a month or so, which doesn't really justify buying a hub.

I hope I explained it clearly enough, and thanks in advance for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom