TV: Video/Audio Asynchron (1 Viewer)

fera

Portal Pro
October 13, 2005
Hi,

my video / audio are asynchron.(im not talking about 10ms... sometimes its up to 2 seconds!) It occurs after watching a channel for some minutes, many times the sound disappears in total. (the "blink" from mp still works) After chaning the channel it works for a couple of minutes again.

I ll post correct system later since i cant turn the htpc on right now but here the things i know:

WinXp SP 2
512MBRAM, Elitegroup (via) mainboard, FX 5200

MP RC 4 with a very new version (1-2 days old), codecs both dscaler (switching to fddshow audio doesnt make a difference), Hauppauge Nova-T (DVB-T, newest driver from the german homepage since i think the drivers provided on the german homepage are newer then the once from the english one)

The audio driver is the one i ve installed a half year ago... mp worked with the same drivers properly till now.

Allright... thanks in forward.

Update:

Area: Media Portal Program
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC4$CVS-14.06.2006-12:51:03,20
(2006-06-14)
MediaPortal Skin: mce
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
.NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
Audio Codec: DScaler Audio Decoder
Video Codec: DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder
CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP 1500+
Memory: 511 MB
Motherboard: K7VT4A+
TV Card Model: Hauppaugge Nova-T (DVB-T)
TV Card Type: -
TV Card Driver: From German Haup. Homepage
Video Card Model: Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 (128 MB)
Video Card Driver: -
Video Card Resolution: 1024x768
Video Render Type: VMR9
Audio Card Model: C-Media AC97 Audio Device
Audio Card Driver: -
Synopsis:: -

fera

Portal Pro
October 13, 2005
Guys? !

I dont wanna get on your nerves but is kind of shitty when the commentar tells you wheter its a goal or not bevour you see it happening!

: >

lar282

Portal Pro
July 11, 2004
I have the same prob. I watch a channel and its perfect. Wait 5 min then its out of sync. I have been struggling with the " no signal" issue and that seems to be fixed for me now in the latest svn, so now its "only" this issue left. I have like broce told me , changed the audio device under movie section to direct sound device:my device.

I tried all codecs I can think of but the out of sync exist in them all.

//Lasse

lar282

Portal Pro
July 11, 2004
fixed for me

Mine is fixed now thanks to one of the devs.

what I did:
1/ Go into Settings, tv, audio renderer. set it to direct sound:"your device"
2/ get the latest svn build cause alot has been fixed around the "no signal" error, that I also had
3/ I (this is wierd) have to use intervideo audio and video codex. can't explain why, it just works with that.

The number one is the important one I think for the audio out of sync issue

PS:refresh was ofcourse set to 75 already:DS

//Lasse

fera

Portal Pro
October 13, 2005
Allright.. i think your advice solved it!

I m using now the Intervideo VIDEO Codec and the fddshow AUDIO codec and it seems to work good. (minimal delays which probably nobody will notice)

For some reason it hung up 2 times while i was using the Intervideo AUDIO codec...

I also using now 75hz instead of 60hz. (which i think didnt change anything but it doesnt seem to hurt anyone so... :>)

So...: THANKS! :)

Update: It seems stable now.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    You guys aren't saying your location so this may or not be relevant, but the refresh rate should be a multiple of your countries default refresh rate. For example, in Aus where it's default 50Hz for PAL, the refresh shouled either be 50, 75 or 100. Of course 50 is too low for a PC and 100 is too high for most TV's so 75 is the comprimise. This helps stop tearing issues.

If you are in the US then 60Hz is the best option for you (unless you feel like testing 120 but *not* recommended)

And yes, Direct Sound is the way to go with sync issues. It's actually such an important setting that it seems strange there is no way in MP config to change this. I guess that's why. Most people won't change it if it is not easy to get to (but most of us, me included, did experiment and lost LOTS of WAF points)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Marcusb said:
    And yes, Direct Sound is the way to go with sync issues.
    I have never understood the difference between the various sound options - would you mind giving us a summary of each one, and when they should be used.... :)

There seem to be at least 3 to choose from:-

Default DirectSound Device
    Default WaveOut Device
    DirectSound: "your sound device (Wave)"

I have never fiddled with any of these as I have never understood what they mean.... :(

Marcusb said:
    It's actually such an important setting that it seems strange there is no way in MP config to change this.
    Yes, it is odd that it can be changed via MediaPortal / Settings, but not from within Configuration.

But, it can be changed from within Configuration for Movies and DVD.... :?

Maybe this is just an oversight/bug?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I'm saying this a lot today, but here goes :)
    I could be wrong, but this is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong.

DirectSound is kind of like an implementation of an API for sound. Same as for DirectX.

The first option is your default DirectSound device as specified in Windows.

The next option is regular Wave output. This is where the sync issues occur. I'm guessing because the code is optimised for DirectSound since that would be the easiest (best?) way to do it.

Then you have the specific DirectSound device.
    If you have more than one sound card, then you would see them listed here. Theoretically, you could specify one device for TV and a different one for Music, etc. That won't help in ,multi room set ups at the moment, because there is no way to specify which device to use unless you are in set up but more importantly, you can't play music and TV at the same time anyway.

Hope that covers it all properly. I've made it very basic so hopefully haven't left anything out that is too important :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom