[confirm] tv video/audio out of sync (1 Viewer)

kevin939

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 rc2
MediaPortal Skin: blue3 wide
Windows Version: xp - sp3 fully patched
CPU Type: intel 651
HDD: samsung 1000G
Memory: 1G pc3200
Motherboard: ?
Video Card: ati 4350
Video Card Driver: 10.3
Sound Card: realtek
Sound Card AC3: ac3 realtek
Sound Card Driver: latest
1. TV Card: hauppauge nova-t-500
1. TV Card Type: dvb-t
1. TV Card Driver: latest
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: advent
Cooling: fans
Power Supply: 250W
Remote: generic mCE compatible
TV: panasonic 1080p plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: dvi to hdmi

I have bee using 1.0.2 for a long time now with few probems. Since RC2 appears stable I decided to move forward.

I have an immediate an obvious problem - the tv sound/video are out of sync whenever I start a channel - either from playing anything else or from another channel. It looks like video is around 1/2s behind sound. If I fast forward then play it all coms into synch.

For me reproduction is simple - just change channels.

logs attached.

thanks in advance

Kevin

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    He is using ffdshow for both audio and video.

But the bad in his config is that he changed the default audio renderer to "Reatek HD Audio rear output".

Simone

CCob

Portal Pro
    November 10, 2008
    Hmmm, so do you think it's to do with the audio output device? Mine is going through a HDMI output on a HD3200 onboard graphics. Although mine has been set system wide and not within mediaportal.

kevin939

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    the audio output was changed to realtek in an attempt to resolve the issue - it didn't and I just didn't change it back to default (which is realtek). My audio is over spdif to my amp.

I have tried other codecs and get the same problem. Never saw this with 1.0.2 where I tried all the codecs in order to determine the "best" - in the end it was between ffdshow and powerdvd7. Not much in it though.

cheers

a little more information/question

I just put the audio back to the default and while I was there decided to use the cyberlink decoders. It now starts channles perfectly in sync. However I have spotted that now and again as I switch channels the sound is lost. on one occasion the sound was lost but after a couple of seconds the picture paused and then continued (possible break) with audio and video is sync. Regrettably this is not predictable.

I also noticed while changing the codec settings that all .ts files are played using the codecs selected for tv. All my .ts files (well those I tried) played perfectly.so I am a little confused why ffdshow codecs got out of sync. Could it be something to do with the way the data from the card is being used at the start?

[is the stream from the card written to a file and that file then streamed to the clients or is the data streamed to the clients directly from the card?]

CCob

Portal Pro
    November 10, 2008
    Well ffdshow wouldn't be able to have been used until this RC 2 release since it was blacklisted before RC 2. Although what I can say in regards to the issue on my machine is that it only happens with ffdshow. MPC and Power DVD codec work fine via HDMI

bigj

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    Try turning ffdshow "audio jitter correction" *off* - it's one of the general settings - can't recall where exactly.

kevin939

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    "ffdshow blacklisted" Could you explain what you mean by this please?

I have been using ffdshow on 1.0.2 for most playback - I even thought I used it for TV. I used the latest version (late march) with DXVA and it was a wow - played everything I threw at it (flv, h264 etc.) and looking remotely at the CPU usage it ran at around 5% CPU for all HD content. MPEG playback on the other hand stuck at 25% CPU

Having gone to RC2 and an update to ffdshow (Mid April version to "fix" the TV problem) there appears to be some issues. It still plays everything but CPU usage is higher with some files clearly using the CPU rather than the graphics processor. I also see periodic ramp ups in CPU usage which peaks at 100%. Visually there is no change to the quality - no stuttering etc - but MP is using a complete CPU.

I think I will revert to the earlier ffdshow..........

b.herwig

January 13, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: tv video/audio out of sync

i#d like to confirm - same problem out of sync- tried the change to original ffdshow -
    it helps - :D
    ffdshow :
    ffdshow | Get ffdshow at SourceForge.net
    Would help to make sure that ffdshow tryouts also works.

bigj

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    Re: AW: tv video/audio out of sync

I can confirm the issue too. I see syncing issues - a pause/forward/back will fix - but then over time, perhaps due to small interruptions/errors in video or audio stream, the syncing issue re-appears.

I have *always* run ffdshow for all audio - except AC3 for which I use AC3Filter. This is the first time I've had an issue.
    Probably since updating to 1.1.0 RC2 + SAF5.0 ffdshow.
    I had *thought* the jitter option in ffdshow may have affected the behaviour, but I re-tried again last night and either way the issue occurs - so that is a 'red herring'

I even tried installing reclock (which I've not needed for a long time) to see if that made a difference - it appears it might help a little, but eventually the syncing issue still occurs.

As suggested, I will revert to an earlier version of ffdshow.

(Long time user of MP, been on 1.0.2 for long time - very happy - RC2 is looking even better - thanks to all the devs.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom