h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink/MPC/ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 28E
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I have been having a very occasional problem with TV Server crashing and iI think I have finally identified a common thread. I have some series set up to record "every time on this channel" which is usually OK, but sometimes it seems that when waking up to record a repeat of one that I haven't yet watched (so it's already in the database) things go wrong.

I attach a log of one such failure that I just happened to see yesterday. I know the machine woke up in the afternoon - but I wasn't watching it at the time - then shut down later, as it should. I had another scheduled recording (different program) later that evening and noticed that the machine had not woken up on time. I switched on manually and discovered that TV Service had been lost. I really needed the new recording so did a system reboot (quickest solution) so couldn't totally recreate the situation for full logs.

I attach the TV.bak log from the previous afternoon. This shows that

2011-03-13 16:02:45.988000 [PowerScheduler Waiter(6)]: PowerScheduler: OnResume

it woke up to record, then until

2011-03-13 16:11:13.236000 [scheduler thread(10)]: Scheduler: Schedule 13/03/2011 16:10:00-The Spice Trail (Pepper & Cinnamon) has already been recorded (17/02/2011 20:53:09) - aborting...

it records that this program already exists, then a whole load of stuff I don't understand, ending in

2011-03-13 17:03:29.502000 [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread(21)]: RemoteControl - Disconnected st : at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
at TvControl.RemoteControl.InvokeEvents()
at TvControl.RemoteControl.RefreshRemotingConnectionStatus()
at TvControl.RemoteControl.get_Instance()
at TvPlugin.TVHome.HeartBeatTransmitter()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

which would be around the time in the afternoon that I noticed the machine was no longer on. The next line

2011-03-13 19:57:21.292000 [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread(28)]: TCP connect took : 1000

is when I manually switched on in the evening, before I did the system restart because MP client couldn't see the TV Service.

I really hope someone can identify what is going on here because apart from this occasional fault 1.1.2 (and now 3) have been superbly reliable. This is a real problem because it appears that once this situation has arisen any scheduled wake ups just don't happen. Unfortunately I don't think this is consistent because I'm sure that there are other occasions when repeats are properly handled.

Attachments

• tv.bak
    3.1 MB

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Could you please look in the event log and attach the details of the crash. I have a feeling I have seen this myself a couple of times but as this is a hard crash there is nothing in logs relating to the actual crash only the events leading up to it.

All the lines relating to
    Code:
    2011-03-13 17:03:29.502000 [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread(21)]: RemoteControl - Disconnected st : at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
    are just saying that the TV plugin is trying to query the TV service but it can't (because it has crashed)

I really hope someone can identify what is going on here because apart from this occasional fault 1.1.2 (and now 3) have been superbly reliable. This is a real problem because it appears that once this situation has arisen any scheduled wake ups just don't happen. Unfortunately I don't think this is consistent because I'm sure that there are other occasions when repeats are properly handled.
    Once the service has totally crashed then it will not do anything (wake up machine, start recordings etc). You can tell windows to automatically restart a service if it fails, not an ideal solution but can help in these rare situations.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    jameson_uk

Which event logs do you mean?

Unfortunately, I don't think the Windows solution is all that reliable either. I have it set to restart, but it doesn't!

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    OK, contents of the Windows Event Log:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 13/03/2011 16:11:14
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: LoungePC-PC
    Description:
    Faulting application name: TVService.exe, version: 1.1.3.0, time stamp: 0x4d667637
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7b8f0
    Exception code: 0xe053534f
    Fault offset: 0x0000b760
    Faulting process id: 0x%9
    Faulting application start time: 0x%10
    Faulting application path: %11
    Faulting module path: %12
    Report Id: %13
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-13T16:11:14.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>20954</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>LoungePC-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>TVService.exe</Data>
    <Data>1.1.3.0</Data>
    <Data>4d667637</Data>
    <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.17514</Data>
    <Data>4ce7b8f0</Data>
    <Data>e053534f</Data>
    <Data>0000b760</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Hope this will help.

PS I thought I had set the service to restart (in fact, I'm sure I had) but when I just checked no actions have been specified. I suspect that applying SP1 may have reset everything - although I really can't see why.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    I have put a fix in to SVN 27682. Not sure this will stop the crash but I think it will and it should help make things a little more stable anyway

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for that. I look forward to trying it out when 1.2 is released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom