TVServer crashes MP RC3 (1 Viewer)

errfoil

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi,

Just returned from vacation and upon seeing RC3 decided to do a clean install of the OS. This is my first HTPC and after much software experimentation the system was getting very flaky. TV under MP was working most of the time under the previous install.

After this clean install of XP MCE and RC3 my system crashes immediately after I turn the TV "on" from the TV page. When I was setting up the system the preview function worked under TVServer settings, but now it does not. I cannot get any image whatsoever from my FloppyDTV under MP.

One other clue; the TV card works great using the DVB Player application that came with Floppy DTV S2 card, although it sometimes requires a system restart after numerous attempts with TVServer.

DVB Fix has been installed. I used the "one click" quick install with RC3.

Thanks

TV-Server Version:
    MediaPortal Version: MP1 RC3
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3
    Windows Version: XP MCE 2005 w/SP3
    CPU Type: Intel E6550 2.33GHz
    HDD: WD 160 & 750
    Memory: 2G BnQ
    Motherboard: Asus P5E-VM-HDMI
    Video Card: Igfx
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card:
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: FloppyDTV S2
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: MP
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: HDMI
    h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Nilesat 7W
    HTPC Case: Antec Fusion Black
    Cooling: Scythe S-Flex X2
    Power Supply:
    Remote: Harmony 880
    TV: Panasonic 56" DLP
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

pmcguire

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    If you haven't done it then turn on the EVR in the directshow filters section.

Turned RC3 from a POS to actually usable for me :)

errfoil

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    Home Country
    If you haven't done it then turn on the EVR in the directshow filters section.

Turned RC3 from a POS to actually usable for me :)

Thanks pmcquire, I switched to EVR, but it seemed to have no effect on my system, still crashed as soon as I selected "TV On". One other interesting observation: RC3 works great for me, except TV, as soon as I select the TV section MP acts very slow and sluggish, and as soon as I turn the TV on MP freezes and needs the 'ol Ctl-alt-del.

I also turned off all EPG functions after reading through more of the forum, no effect.

Thanks for the suggestion pmcguire.

magnets

Portal Member
    June 9, 2007
    Home Country
    is it crashing or just locking up?
    mine is very slow, but eventually works.

anyway, can you scan channels in the config? what kind of signal does it get?
    if it can scan then it can operate your card.

if it can't scan then look for the bda drivers for your card.

pmcguire

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I have to say that after enabling EVR mediaportal is the best I can ever remember it.
    Maybe this should EVR option be turned on by default, or at least not hidden away as well as it was.

I was almost ready to bin the whole idea and go to Vista Media Centre. glad I stayed on now.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When you say you did a clean install of the OS, did you format drive prior to reinstalling, because if you did not then there is a high possibility of old files being accessed, which will screw things and you will never find the solution.

Vista does not have above problem :)

errfoil

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    Home Country
    is it crashing or just locking up?
    mine is very slow, but eventually works.

anyway, can you scan channels in the config? what kind of signal does it get?
    if it can scan then it can operate your card.

It's a full blown crash. I tried tuning a channel and just walked away for 15 min. When I pull up Task Manager I get the "Not Responding" status on MP.

Yes, scanning works just fine, in fact I can preview the channels from inside the config app?!? Signal strength is 100% and quality is always above 80% Also, TV under DVB Viewer works just fine.

When you say you did a clean install of the OS, did you format drive prior to reinstalling, because if you did not then there is a high possibility of old files being accessed, which will screw things and you will never find the solution.

I started fresh with a drive format, have only the minimum programs installed, defragged between each install. This was supposed to be my super clean, super fast, super stable install! Go figure.

I have two areas of suspicion:
    1) I used SP3 this time, is there any history of XP MCE w/SP3 causing problems, or rather is there anyone out there using SP3 that has a system that works great?

2) I used the ''One Click'' install of MP this time, so I'm suspicious of install problems that may have happened 'behind the scene'. I've been trying to read the logs after my system crashed (attached to original post), but they are a little over my head. It looks like there is some kind of database hiccup, but this is the part of this system I understand the least. If anyone is a whiz at reading those logs I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a look and see if this is my problem.

TIA,
    BC

een_mq

Portal Member
    September 27, 2006
    Hi all,

I have actually seen this problem and may have the solution for you.

I was running TV server RC2 in multiseat mode fine....
    Then RC3 came out, and I made an image of my previous built and install RC3 on a brand new XP install.

And I get your problem straight away, turning on TV will crash MediaPortal with task manager showing "MediaPortal not responding"
    Tried different machines with the same problem.

Then I restored back to RC2 backup and everything works again.

So, what I did is, instead of installing RC3 on a new machine, I just ran the RC3 installer straight away.
    Counter intuitive I know but this works and I have replicated this on my two MP client machine.

So if you are starting from scratch, install RC2, then install RC3 on top.

Let me know how you go

migube

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2007
    Interesting, let me try.

So I used the backupsettigns plugin to backup my conf.
    then I uninstalled TVserver. (add/remove programs.)
    Rebooted
    reinstalled package-tvengine.exe RC2.
    Tested => had to reboot & bluescreen , then ok.
    Upgraded to RC3 package-tvengine.exe without uninstalling => tvserver & timeshifting now worksOK
    launnching MP says no card installed ...
    milliard :)

I installed latest SVN of both, and now TVserver scans give a no signal :(((

jezus :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom