TvServer Win7 Away mode (1 Viewer)

Mr Hipp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2006
    Malmö
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    The following bins will enable away mode on tvserver. This is very useful on a single seat system. For instance you can start a recording and push the power button. The system will go into low power, but the recording will continue.

Another scenario is that you have a all in one remote that shuts down the avr/pc/tv with one push of a putton. In that case you don't want to turn the PC if there is a recording.

The following things must be done to enable this.
    1) Enable POS S3 in bios
    S3 (STR) Standby: In this state, the CPU has no power, the power supply is in a reduced power mode, main memory (RAM) is still powered, although it is almost the only component that is. Since the state of the operating system and all applications, open documents, etc. lies all in main memory, the user can resume work exactly where they left off the main memory content when the computer comes back from S3 is the same as when it was put into S3. S3 has two advantages over S4; the computer is faster to resume than to reboot, secondly if any running applications (opened documents, etc) have private information in them, this will not be written to the disk. However, disk caches may be flushed to prevent data corruption in case the system doesn't wake up e.g. due to power failure. STR means Save To RAM. In modern operating systems it's called as: Standby in versions of Windows through Windows XP and in some varieties of Linux, Sleep in Windows Vista and Mac OS X.

2) Change power button in enery settings. Power button must be mapped to sleep.

3) shutdown tv server. The attached bins should replace those currently on the tv server (works for 1.1.1.0, but should also work for 1.1.0.0)

4) Test. Start a recording and press power button.

P.S 1 It might also work for Vista, but then I think you need special 'away mode' support in bios.

P.S. 2 Always make backups before testing.

Enjoy
    Mr Hipp

Attachments

• away.zip
      39.6 KB

michael_t

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: TvServer Win7 Away mode

I am just releasing Version 1.2.0.7 (compatible with MP Release 1.2.0 Alpha) and would be glad if you could put my code in the main trunk of MP. I will upload the executables and the source code for 1.2.0.7 to sourceforge tonight.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom