TVService stops on tuning a weak channel (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: v1.1.0 RC6
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
CPU Type: Athlon II X4 630
HDD: 640GB WD SATA
Memory: 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: Biostar TA790GXB3
Video Card: HD3300 IGP
Video Card Driver: 10.5
Sound Card: onboard Realtek AC97 (ALC662)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.6101
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.27240
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink Decoder (PDVD9)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshowDXVA
HTPC Case: Custom
Cooling: Nexus 120mm Intake Fan, Stock CPU HSF
Power Supply: EZCool 450W
Remote: Nova-T 500
TV: Sony XBR800 36"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

My aerial/signal is not great I know, but is fine for a lot of the Freeview channels. However, when trying to tune into some, rather than just saying "no signal", nothing happens for ages and then I get a message saying "connection to TV Service lost", and when I look, TVService has indeed stopped itself, so I have to re-start it manually before I can continue using MP.

I first noticed this problem in RC2 https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...portal-locks-up-tuning-weak-tv-channel-81070/ and it was still present in RC6 https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...tvservice-stops-tuning-weak-tv-channel-83257/

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Glad to hear that the problem's been identified and added to mantis :)

Ragnarok666

Portal Pro
October 11, 2009
Home Country
England England
Same for DVB-S(2) as well.

No Signal is fine
Good signal is fine
Marginal or weak signal = crash!

Glad this is in the Bug list but it does act as a very irritating reminder to go trim the trees around my dish.

cfforce

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Same here, last hour heavy rainfall; so bad signal; Tvservice crashes; and can't be restored by simply restart service; i need to reboot the server.

Edit:
    Last time i checked Tvservice it ran below 70% and crashed; even when im lucky to restart the service, the tuners are displayed as "N/A"
    Hope it can be fixed, it's a showstopper ;)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    My suggestion is that you guys hire an professional to check your antennas.
    Because even if the bug in TvServer is fixed when signal is lost, you will still have the major problem that you can not watch TV because of your bad signal.

cfforce

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Normally i don't have a problem with the signal when it's raining; but yesterday was insane here in the east of the netherlands.
    My original setopbox (philips) always have around 98% signalstrength, 97% signalquality; but yesterday it also lost signal :)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Normally i don't have a problem with the signal when it's raining; but yesterday was insane here in the east of the netherlands.
    The funny thing about rain is that it can even increase the signal strenght. Sounds wird, but this is the case. ;)
    But Lightning and fog/haze is very bad for the signal strenght.

My original setopbox (philips) always have around 98% signalstrength, 97% signalquality; but yesterday it also lost signal :)
    Sorry to tell you, but these values are plain nonesense. :)

Try 4 different models (do not even have to be different brands!) of STB's, and they will all tell you other values.
    The biggest flaw is that they tell you the results in %.
    But what is the base of the % calculation? How many dbuV are 100%?
    There is no definition or standart which would define that. Even more rubbish is the signal-quality value - but I do not want to get into details there. ;)

Bottomline is that if you realy want to know if your antenna or sat-dish is alligned properly (and physicaly okay) you need to use a professional (sat) meter like the Kathrein MSK 33 - and a technitian who knows what he is doing.
    Everything else is just GUESSING. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom