Two Home Screens? (1 Viewer)

wayloncovil

Portal Member
August 19, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello.
I'm loving MediaPortal. It's elegant and seems to work very well for my OTA needs.
I have DefaultWide skin loaded with only use classic home selected.
Screenshots attached.
I noticed that when I select Root Menu from the Home Screen, I'm taken to another Home Screen.
See OtherHome.jpg. You'll see on the left hand side the word Root Menu. It takes me to the screenshot I called home.jpg.
Then when I'm on home.jpg, clicking the refresh button takes me back to otherhome.jpg.
From a usability and development perspective, it would seem like only one home screen is needed.
So... why do we have two home menus here?
And, how would I control it so it only has 1 home menu? Is this controllable via the basichome.xml file?
Thanks!

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    523.6 KB
  • OtherHome.jpg
    OtherHome.jpg
    164.4 KB

wayloncovil

Portal Member
August 19, 2015
Home Country
RonD,
Thanks for your post. It looks like I had it on only Basic which allowed me to switch to two home screens.
I switched it to only classic and that keeps me on the root menu.
But it looks like I broke something along the way. It says that I'm missing my skininfo.xml file. I don't see that defaultwide is available as a download.
What's the best way to reinstall the skin? A reinstall of MP?
Thanks!

mrj

Portal Pro
January 27, 2012
Hi wayloncovil

The skininfo.xml is missing for the default(wide) skin because it belongs to a third party plugin installed by a third party skin.
The skin files supplied by the MediaPortal installer are stored here.
https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/tree/master/mediaportal/MediaPortal.Base/skin

You can copy the skininfo.xml from the third party skin folder to the default wide skin folder. This should be enough.
There may be font issues (on the skininfo page), if you do this.

mrj

wayloncovil

Portal Member
August 19, 2015
Home Country
Hi wayloncovil

The skininfo.xml is missing for the default(wide) skin because it belongs to a third party plugin installed by a third party skin.
The skin files supplied by the MediaPortal installer are stored here.
https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/tree/master/mediaportal/MediaPortal.Base/skin

You can copy the skininfo.xml from the third party skin folder to the default wide skin folder. This should be enough.
There may be font issues (on the skininfo page), if you do this.

mrj
Thanks!

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    BTW, that was not "refresh" button but something like "swap home screens" :)

wayloncovil

Portal Member
    August 19, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks! I disabled the Skininfo plugin and that seems like it's sufficient.
    Another question for you... I noticed that if I have 3-4 items for my home screen, I can scroll up and down (or left and right depending upon the skin) and it continues to cycle through them. Is there a way it will just put the ones I'm using on there and not have them cycle through?
    Meaning, if I have TV, Video and Settings, I will see TV, Video, Settings and then see TV, Video, again after it. I'll see TV twice. See screenshot. I don't want it to scroll/cycle through and I just want to see the TV selection once. Is there a way to control this?
    Thanks!

Attachments

• Home_TV_Twice.jpg
      Home_TV_Twice.jpg
      144.6 KB

mrj

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2012
    Hi
    I disabled the Skininfo plugin and that seems like it's sufficient.
    OK. That is in your case the best solution.

I don't want it to scroll/cycle through and I just want to see the TV selection once. Is there a way to control this?

I do not know of a way to disable the scrolling. Check the settings for the home plugin if this is possible.

//EDIT
    You see TV twice because the skinner has reserved space for five entries and since you have only four enabled plugins, the home plugin will fill the available space causing TV to be displayed twice.

The number of visible items are controlled by the skin.
    To change the number of visible button open myHome,xml in any text editor and find
    <numberOfButtons>5</numberOfButtons>
    set the value to 4.
    Save the file.

mrj

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom