Typing in a search for a show? Am I missing something? (2 Viewers)

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I am actually pretty new to the TV portion of MP. I recently just received a PVR 500. I know you can search for shows but the way its done now, is kind of different... unless I am missing something. Shouldn't there be a way to type in the show title and have it search for the show you want?

I am thinking something like this.... There is a tab called Find shows or search. When you click that a mini keyboard comes up where you can just type or move your remote to type in the show name. It would use the same keyboard that pops up when you manually type in a Video you are looking up in IMDB.

After you type in your show, you should have several options to search on. I was thinking Actor, Director, Show title, Description. You should be able to check the ones you want, and uncheck the ones you don't. At that point you would hit the search button.

It should go through the guide and come up with shows it fines that meets the criteria you have selected. At this point you should be able to select the show to set up recording.

Maybe there is a F key that does this... that I am missing. If this feature is not currently within MP... it would be great to see something like this in the future.

I love all the hard work you guys have been putting into MP lately... it's really coming along.

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is no such function searching epg data in MediaPortal, right now.

But there is a plugin called Personal TV Guide.
    It's beta right now, but you can search for shows the way you described.
    Maybe this could be integrated to MediaPortals search function when plugin has a final state?

BTW, congratulations to your new TVCard.
    Finally your HTPC is complete, now. :lol:

Have fun
    Ralph

wunschkind

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    hi guys,

will it be possible to search within the tv-shows (without the personal tvguide plugin) with something like an onscreen keyboard?

thank you

wunschkind

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    As you can see from my first post... I have been requesting this feature. It is still not in MP at this point. Now with the new TV engine and it's using a SQL server, I am hoping this will be added in the future. I am hoping it will be like the new ReplayTV PVR software that is coming out. When you go into the search and you type in your first letter it brings it up... so lets say you are looking for LOST and you type in L, it should come up with ALL shows starting with L... then you hit the O for LO and it comes up with all the shows that start with LO. For a show like lost, it's easy to type it in... but when you run into longer shows like "The New Adventures of Old Christine" it would save you a TON of typing... and who wants to be typing out the whole thing with the remote. :)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    As you can see from my first post... I have been requesting this feature. It is still not in MP at this point. Now with the new TV engine and it's using a SQL server, I am hoping this will be added in the future. I am hoping it will be like the new ReplayTV PVR software that is coming out. When you go into the search and you type in your first letter it brings it up... so lets say you are looking for LOST and you type in L, it should come up with ALL shows starting with L... then you hit the O for LO and it comes up with all the shows that start with LO. For a show like lost, it's easy to type it in... but when you run into longer shows like "The New Adventures of Old Christine" it would save you a TON of typing... and who wants to be typing out the whole thing with the remote. :)

I agree ASiDiE, the easier it is for a user interface the better for the user and the more used the plugin/function is enjoyed!

wunschkind

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    hi,

this would be great. i think the search in MYMUSIC works this way... i hope this function will be implemented.

bye and thank you

wunschkind

cowpie

Portal Member
    October 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Actually I've found something very interesting here.

If you have a modded Xbox with XBMC (Xbox Media Center), you can make MediaPortal search the EPG guide.

Search EPG
    screenshot017at6.gif

Download https://www.team-mediaportal.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,35/func,fileinfo/id,65/

Readme http://home.iprimus.com.au/miarose/readme.htm

And then you can search titles of shows :) It's amazing, what a great script. Just make sure you use an SVN prior to the tv server addition, like October 10 2006 I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom