UK freeview - outside of UK (1 Viewer)

gig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I was wondering whether there is a way to receive UK's freeview outside of UK?

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    no chance

there's stil some parts of the UK that can't get it.. and you would need to be in receiving range of one of the TX's.

in Poland you will not.

gig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I was not talking about the DVB-T but the freeview over satellite such as the Freesat .

Is anyone using it outside of UK?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was not talking about the DVB-T but the freeview over satellite such as the Freesat .

Yes, but there does seem to be a range limit (do not know why atm, but believe it is a geographical thing) which stops a lot of mainland europe getting reception for uk based transmissions.

Even internet broadcasts of uk TV is being regionalised, so no overseas transmissions are possible.

Whether this will ever change, in a ever shrinking world, who knows, but to me a world audience is a big one.

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Gig

The BBC channels (BBC1,/2/3/4, Cbeebies, CBBC, BBC News 24, BBC Parliament and BBC HD Preview), ITV Channels (ITV1/2/2+1/3+1/4 and CITV) and Film4 (& Film 4+1) are available via Free To Air Satellite (DVB-S). I think that they are only available over part of Europe as I think Astra 2D (which BBC are on) has a fairly tight focus on the UK. I think the further away you get from the UK the bigger the dish you need. The EPG broadcast as part of the DVB-S stream is only now and next.

Channel 4 and Five (and their other channels (More 4, E4, Five Life and Five US) are currently encrypted by BSkyB. It is thought that as Channel 4 is part of the Freesat consortium they may go Free To Air when their contract with BSkyB expires in 2008. Hopefully Five may follow when their contract expires unless BSkyB can tempt them to stay encrypted.

BBC and ITV are supposed to officially launch and market the Freesat service (satellite Freeview) in 2008 although it was originally aupposed to launch Autumn 2006. This is because only about 75% of the UK can currently receive Freeview as the DVB-T transmission power is reduced to prevent interference with analogue TV. Freesat should hopefully have a more comprehensive EPG than current Free To Air satellite transmissions.

Mew

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    Split second timing PD.

I believe that you can pick up Free To Air UK satellite as far as some parts of Spain. I think because of angle certain channels (probably BBC) are tricky in Italy and beyond.

Freesat From Sky (not to be confused with Freesat that BBC and ITV will launch (BBC has the rights to the Freesat name)) is Free To Air and Free To View. You need a card from Sky (a one off £20 charge) and this will enable you to receive Channel 4 and Five (but I don't think it allows E4 or More 4).

Mew

gig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Thanks for the input.

The BBC channels (BBC1,/2/3/4, Cbeebies, CBBC, BBC News 24, BBC Parliament and BBC HD Preview), ITV Channels (ITV1/2/2+1/3+1/4 and CITV) and Film4 (& Film 4+1) are available via Free To Air Satellite (DVB-S). I think that they are only available over part of Europe as I think Astra 2D (which BBC are on) has a fairly tight focus on the UK. I think the further away you get from the UK the bigger the dish you need. The EPG broadcast as part of the DVB-S stream is only now and next.

So these channels are not encrypted? I will have to aim the dish onto Astra2d next time I'm at home, and see what will I receive.

Freesat From Sky (not to be confused with Freesat that BBC and ITV will launch (BBC has the rights to the Freesat name)) is Free To Air and Free To View. You need a card from Sky (a one off £20 charge) and this will enable you to receive Channel 4 and Five (but I don't think it allows E4 or More 4).

Am I understanding it right, that Freesat From Sky is broadcast over satellite? If yes which one, I can't find any info. I would ask Sky but their terms and condition not allowing receiving their program outside of UK :(

On the other hand I was wondering how they can prof where the signal is being received from.

I never had problems receiving Polish TV over satellite in UK or Germany, therefore I was thinking that having the FreesatFromSky card would allowed me to receive UK channels in Poland.

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi gig

Yes you are right, all the Free To Air channels (BBC & ITV) are not encrypted. I receive them on my Win TV HVR-4000s (including BBC HD). I think I receive around 260 Free To Air channels in the UK from Astra 2A/B/C/D and Eurobird 1 but alot are shopping channels. I think you can receive these on any DVB-S satellite cards (designed for Europe) or boxes including Sky's one.

You need the Freesat from Sky card to receive Free To View channels (such as Channel 4 and Five) as these are currently encrypted by Sky. I have a feeling that Sky will only send the card, when purchased, to a UK address. You will also need a Sky box for the card. The Sky box also receives the Free To Air channels mentioned before and Sky provides a more comprehensive EPG for these channels.

I believe BBC and ITV moved their channels to transponders on Astra 2D a while ago as it made it easier to go Free To Air. This was because its tighter focus on the UK meant there was less overspill into Europe which could cause a problem when negotiating rights to show programs.

Mew

gig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    cheers ;)

I found a list of UK free tv channels:
    http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-Kingdom.html

and maps of the Astra2D footprint:

1. http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html
    2. http://www.astra2d.com/astra2d-footprint.htm

you were right, in Poland I will need a very huge dish in order to receive the program

Eurobird1 singnal strengt in europe looks better http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/eb1.html but they don't have as much free channels as the Astra2D, although the SKY Digital seam to be broadcast over this satellite, which answers my question :)

Users who are viewing this thread