[UK] Need help choosing a PCI TV tuner/capture card (1 Viewer)

King Mustard

Portal Member
July 19, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I intend to buy a PCI card so that I can capture VHS tapes to my computer's hard drive. If I can watch Freeview with it, even better.

I have three options:

From what I can gather:

DVB-S = digital transmitted over satellite
DVB-T = terrestrial (old analogue signal from towers)

Therefore the ST100 (DVB-T) isn't what I want as it won't work with Freeview.

That leaves me with S350 and C100.

Any suggestions? I'm confused!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Therefore the ST100 (DVB-T) isn't what I want as it won't work with Freeview

That is freeview, anything dvb is digital video broadcast :)

But what you need is a dvb\analogue card like Hauppauge Computer Works Ltd : WinTV-HVR-1100

But that has not got what is known as a hardware mpeg2 encoder, but should be sufficient for ripping VHS to hard disk anyway, as long as your pc is not under powered.

Regards

King Mustard

Portal Member
    July 19, 2007
    Home Country
    Therefore the ST100 (DVB-T) isn't what I want as it won't work with Freeview

That is freeview, anything dvb is digital video broadcast :)

But what you need is a dvb\analogue card like Hauppauge Computer Works Ltd : WinTV-HVR-1100

But that has not got what is known as a hardware mpeg2 encoder, but should be sufficient for ripping VHS to hard disk anyway, as long as your pc is not under powered.

Regards
    After further research, I went with the S350 as it allows me to watch Freeview and capture from a VHS source. The others don't allow me to do both.

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    According to the description in the link, the S350 is a digial satellite card (DVB-S). You will need to hook it up to a satellite dish. If it is pointing to 28.2 degrees east (as per one set for Sky) you will be able to watch the channels on Freesat, which are similar to Freeview but not identical. You cannot connect it to an aerial and watch Feeview.

Mew

King Mustard

Portal Member
    July 19, 2007
    Home Country
    According to the description in the link, the S350 is a digial satellite card (DVB-S). You will need to hook it up to a satellite dish. If it is pointing to 28.2 degrees east (as per one set for Sky) you will be able to watch the channels on Freesat, which are similar to Freeview but not identical. You cannot connect it to an aerial and watch Feeview.

Mew
    Oh, crap :/

In that case, can you help me find one for under £30 that will allow me capture from a VHS source and allow me to plug in an aerial to watch Freeview please?

Many thanks if you can help! :)

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi

I think you may struggle for under £30. The Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1100 Ray suggested is £34.97 from Amazon so not much over.

I find Hauppauge products work well with MediaPortal and Hauppauge seem reasonable for support. I have used a WinTV PVR-500, two WinTV HVR-4000s and am currently using one of the WinTV HVR-4000s and a WinTV HVR-4400 in my HTPC. I have also used a WinTV PCI, a WinTV PVR-150 and am currently using the other WinTV HVR-4000 in my desktop PC.

I am afraid I do not have much experience of capturing from a VHS source using them though.

Mew

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom