Ultimate setup with PureAudio (1 Viewer)

johan_80

Portal Pro
April 27, 2009
I use an Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 (with changed OpAmps). So I use analog output as it's actually superior to my Denon AVR-4308As preamp.

But one thing I'm missing is Bass managment. There is the FlexBass system in the C-Media drivers. But it extracts the bass from all channels and mixing it into the LFE. I would like the bass to remain in all channels but also mixed in with the LFE. (This can be done if letting the Denon do the bass managment.,....but only if going digital).

For movies I'll do this with ffdshow (LFE crossover). ReClock also give me WASAPI so no resample is needed.

But for music I can't use ffdshow or WASAPI.

So I have a couple of questions:

1:
How can I setup MediaPortal to play music with PureAudio (no resampling) and bass managment (use the LFE to give the main speakers some support rather than extracting all bass from the speakers)

I found a VST plugin that should be able to do this called Voxengo BMS. But it does not work I think. The VST plugin bay seems to just use 2 channels. So the plugin can't connect to the LFE (6th channel of 8?) and mix in the bass content.

2:
How does the 5.1 -> 7.1 upmixing work?
It seems like the wrong cannels are upmixed to the side speakers.

3:
How should I configure PulseAudio?
a) ASIO or Windows device as Output device?
b) If ASIO: C-Media ASIO or ASIO4ALL

4:
When using ASIO - > C-Media ASIO
96kHz 5.1 Audio plays
88.2kHz 5.1 Audio fails

Any ideas why?

I would be very very thankful if someone could help me out.

I'm running Windows 7 32-bit btw.

Steinmann

July 28, 2009
Home Country
Norway Norway
1. LFE is more for film is it not? So you want to simulate this for music? Sounds like disaster to me..
2. Why upmix stereo?
3. With ASIO you can get bitperfect sound Windows cant give you that
3.B/4: Use Asio4All then :p

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    1. In theory the VST plugin should have access to all outputchannels, do also the LFE. Will check that tomorrow. PureAudio itself does not have bass management capabilities.
    2. It replicates channels 5 and 6 on resp. 7 and 8.
    3. If ASIO works for you, i would use that to get highest quality possible. Native drivers are preferred over ASIO4ALL. Use that only if native ASIO drivers fail.
    4. In what way does it fail? Logfiles may help out here.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    1. In theory the VST plugin should have access to all outputchannels, do also the LFE. Will check that tomorrow.

Nope it doesn't.... This will be the case in the new major rewrite/upgrade that i work on, not in the current version.

80sman

Portal Pro
    August 1, 2005
    UK
    I seem to be in the same boat here as well, problems with bass management, I have D2 Audio built into the motherboard. MSI media diva, but the sub is not activated. As there is .1 channel sent.

roosterx

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2006
    Högsäter, Sweden
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    1. LFE is more for film is it not? So you want to simulate this for music? Sounds like disaster to me..
    2. Why upmix stereo?
    3. With ASIO you can get bitperfect sound Windows cant give you that
    3.B/4: Use Asio4All then :p

Really depends on your setup, music in a 2.1 setup sounds really good here.

Preferably there should be wasapi support, since it is a builtin native support in windows for this.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    roosterx;524802 Preferably there should be wasapi support said:
    Now that i'm changing to Win7 on my dev machine, i will be looking into WASAPI support. There's no way i can avoid that anymore i guess :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom