Unable to change volume in MP on Vista when using MpTray (1 Viewer)

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have a really weird problem(bug?) since a few weeks back. I don't know what caused the problem but basically I'm unable to change the volume in MediaPortal if MediaPortal is launched using MpTray. If I start MediaPortal manually by clicking the icon on the desktop the volume control works without any problems.

When try to do volume up/down or mute when MediaPortal is started using MpTray the following error/exception is written to error.log:

Code:
    2008-09-23 23:09:49.815816 [ERROR][MPMain]: Exception   :System.InvalidOperationException: Mixer.GetControl.1
       at MediaPortal.Mixer.Mixer.GetControl(MixerComponentType componentType, MixerControlType controlType)
       at MediaPortal.Mixer.Mixer.Open(Int32 mixerIndex, Boolean isDigital)
       at MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler..ctor(Int32[] volumeTable)
       at MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler.CreateInstance()
       at MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler.get_Instance()
       at MediaPortalApp.OnAction(Action action)
    2008-09-23 23:09:49.815816 [ERROR][MPMain]: Exception   :Mixer.GetControl.1
    2008-09-23 23:09:49.816792 [ERROR][MPMain]:   site      :MixerControlDetails GetControl(MediaPortal.Mixer.MixerComponentType, MediaPortal.Mixer.MixerControlType)
    2008-09-23 23:09:49.817769 [ERROR][MPMain]:   source    :Core
    2008-09-23 23:09:49.818745 [ERROR][MPMain]:   stacktrace:   at MediaPortal.Mixer.Mixer.GetControl(MixerComponentType componentType, MixerControlType controlType)
       at MediaPortal.Mixer.Mixer.Open(Int32 mixerIndex, Boolean isDigital)
       at MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler..ctor(Int32[] volumeTable)
       at MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler.CreateInstance()
       at MediaPortal.Player.VolumeHandler.get_Instance()
       at MediaPortalApp.OnAction(Action action)

I've tried all available versions of MpTray including MpTray mod without any difference. I've checked that the volume settings are set to "Vista" and "Wave" in Configuration. Since volume control works without MpTray my settings must be ok.

I found a similar error that was solved earlier this year:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/get-support-90/no-osd-when-changing-channel-31949/
    The error message matches exactly what's described in that post.

Help :( This is the last problem that I need to iron out, it's really frustrating since my setup is the most stable since 0.2.0.4.

TV-Server Version: 1.0 RC2 + Latest SVN
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC2 + Latest SVN
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo Wide
    Windows Version: Vista Ultimate SP1
    Sound Card: Realtek HDMI
    Sound Card AC3: HDMI
    Sound Card Driver: 2.04
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MS

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you got default sound device set in MP for all sound settings, either that or the Realtek drivers have done something strange.

My Creative ones took 3 attempts when i did the upgrade to SP1, kept finding bits in the driver not showing as installed :(, worked fine until you rebooted, also make sure you do not accept any windows updates for that driver (unless you want too).

But i'm running Ultimate with MPTrayMod and touch wood, so far no more issues.

Just a after thought, you have got ALL the mediacenter services disabled.

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Have you got default sound device set in MP for all sound settings, either that or the Realtek drivers have done something strange.

Do you mean selecting "Master" or "Wave"? Or is there some other setting? Or do you mean audio renderer for TV, Movies etc?

Just a after thought, you have got ALL the mediacenter services disabled.

Yes, via the group policy editor. Verified that everything is disabled in "services"

The thing is that everything points to MpTray since volume control works if I start MP manually.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The thing is that everything points to MpTray since volume control works if I start MP manually.

More likely the keypress that activates MPTray, try disabling catalyst control centre's hotkeys, as you are using hdmi sound output.

SweMart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 25, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

More likely the keypress that activates MPTray, try disabling catalyst control centre's hotkeys, as you are using hdmi sound output.

Ok, done that = no effect.

Is there any way the devs could modify the code so I could get a better error message? Unhandled exceptions are never any good, no matter how lame I may be at setting up my HTPC(after only 5 years of HTPC activites + another 10 years in the IT business). It's still MediaPortal not handling the exception.

Edit: Pardon my rough language, I've solved the problem. I had to install Visual Studio in order to find the root cause. It seems that the Windows XP compatibility was set for mptray.exe for some unexplainable reason. Funny thing is that I've replaced mptray.exe and mphook.dll several times, is the compability flag set in the registry or is it stored in the binary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom